Another short update.
I finally got my bucket stave’s mounted on the bottom. I still have to round the stave’s on the outside and drill the dowel holes. The joints are mostly tight between the stave’s, but a couple of very small adjustments will finish the job. The black you see between the gaps in the photo below are just pencil marks. I did the edge angles by starting out with an angle that seemed about right and then I adjusted them afterwards, also by eye. All the planing was done freehand on my hand plane mounted in the bench as I showed earlier. This time I got the planned diameter.
My work sequence
I found a great work sequence that saved a little time.
1. First the concave side of each stave was planed.
2.The planed stave was left between the bench dogs after planing, the bottom dado was measured, marked and cut before planing the next stave and so on until all the stave’s were finished (except the rounding on the outside).
3. I marked the same edge angle on all the stave’s (except the last one).
4. The staves were taped together on the outside to hold them together while I placed them on the bottom.
5. I tightened the stave’s with a cord clamp to see how accurate the angles were. About half seemed alright. The others were marked for adjustments using my eye and a ruler to draw the line with. I dismounted the stave’s and replaned the ones needing adjustment. I had to do this 3 times, but it didn’t take long. Now they are almost perfect except a couple that need a small adjustment.
Sorry I didn’t take more pictures, but I was working like mad to get to the point where I left off. Tomorrow I plan to finish up the outside of the staves, make those two small adjustment and drill the dowel holes. Still a bit of work to go before making the handle and the bindings.
Thanks for reading.
-- Mike, an American living in Norway.