Today’s blog is about planing the stave’s inside concave surface and planing the edge angles. First our logo photos of the bucket we are making and the tools to make it with.
PLANING THE CONCAVE INSIDE OF THE STAVE’S
Yesterday’s blog shows me planing the concave side of the stave’s. I continued with that until I had enough to do a test assembly. In photo 1 below you see the still flat outside of the stave’s I’ve planed and I have also planed the angled edges which I will tell more about below. I’ve taped up the stave’s to see what a partial assembly will yield. You can see the concave shapes in photo 2 and the half round in photo 3 and sitting upright in photo 4.
You might notice that I managed to cut the stave’s different lengths leaving a somewhat wavy top edge (I like diversity). The important thing is that the bottom edge is aligned because the bottom edge is the reference line for the dado which the bottom will sit in. The stave’s top edge’s will be whipped into order after the dados are cut.
Photo 5 is just an outside view of the temporary assembly.
Here you see my planing set-up on my sliding beam bench. This worked better than clamping them between the dogs on my workbench because my material is so thin (3/8”).
PLANING THE EDGE’S OF THE STAVE’S
As I mentioned yesterday I set my bevel finder to the angle indicated which is 15 degrees. Then I marked the angle on each stave on the top and bottom edges. Then I just free handed the planing on my upside down jack plane while it was clamped in my bench. This worked very well and very easy and the angles were very accurate. But without an angled fence you do need the marks to follow as you plane. All-in-all pleasant work and quickly done. I hope you will give it a try. In the photo below you can see that my jack plane has grown a beard.
WHAT WENT WRONG?
I enjoyed myself so much today that I began to think that everything was going almost too well. Well, I was right! Here is a list of what went wrong.
1. I continued to assemble the stave’s with tape around the bottom circle as I went. When I was just short one stave, it became apparent to me that I had misjudged the width of the stave’s need to complete the circle as laid out on the bottom piece. I won’t waste your time with excuses and yes I do know coopers math, but somehow I bungled it anyway. It wasn’t easy! Ok, this is not a big deal. It only means that the bucket diameter will be a little less. The main problem will be adjusting the bottom to the new size and of course my hurt pride. Luckily I haven’t cut the bottom round yet, so I just need to find out the new diameter and mark it on the bottom. Photo 1 below shows that temporarily assemble bucket and photo 2 is an inside view.
2. Coping with the ‘Weeping Stave’ This is the last stave that goes into the bucket, and it is aptly named as it almost had me in tears. Hear that girls? Proof that I am a modern sensitive man. The width of the last stave compensates for small errors in widths which are mainly caused by planing the angled edges too much, and errors in judgement like I made, plus the old timers didn’t have the math (and they still did it better than me!). The photo below shows the bad joint.
The challenge here is to get the right width for that last oddball stave and also the right thickness. I managed to tape the bucket together minus the last stave and somehow estimated the width needed to fit the opening. I almost got that right, but the material was way to thin over the great round distance and therefore the outside of the stave didn’t match up with the other stave’s. So tomorrow I have to make a new ‘Weeping Stave’. Wish me luck.
Thanks for reading and please make your own mistakes and not copy mine, lol. Thanks for reading this.
-- Mike, American in Norway The four steps towards competency: 1. unconscious incompetence, 2. conscious incompetence, 3. conscious competence, 4. unconscious competence