Mystery Woodcraft Tool

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by stavely posted 871 days ago 1069 reads 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch

Help…my curiosity is getting the best of me!!! Some years ago a friend of mine, unfortunately dying of brain cancer, gave me this tool from Woodcraft. My friend’s disease was so advanced however that he could not speak clearly or write and was unable to tell me the purpose for this tool, gig or gauge. This constructed wooden thing is 10” long, 1 ½” tall and 7/8” wide with a cam operating lever at each end. Operating the levers at the end adjust the thin slots that are cut into the device. Perhaps one of you out in “wood-working” land knows what it is.

5 comments so far

View Mike DeCarlo's profile

Mike DeCarlo

40 posts in 1384 days

#1 posted 871 days ago

I would say its a Luthiers Cam Clamp…


View FirehouseWoodworking's profile


622 posts in 1898 days

#2 posted 871 days ago

Perhaps you can contact Woodcraft and they could tell you. Either corporate or a nearby store if you have one.

I don’t really know, but in the meantime, I’ll take a scientific, wild-a$$ guess (otherwise known as a SWAG.)

I’m thinking that you lay a pipe clamp in that semi-circular divot in the center of the clamp and tighten it down to a piece of wood. Then you snug up the clamps on both sides to keep the wood from warping or cupping.

Probably a lame guess, but that’s the best I’ve got. Good luck.


-- Dave; Lansing, Kansas

View Chris Cook's profile

Chris Cook

162 posts in 906 days

#3 posted 871 days ago

It is a bowl-makes depth tool. It allows you to keep a check on a bowls width and depth while turning it on a lathe.

Actually, Mike got it right “Luthiers Cam Clamp…”

-- Chris, “as soon as you come up with something foolproof, they come up with a better fool""

View AJswoodshop's profile


1057 posts in 902 days

#4 posted 871 days ago

It helps you make bowls on a lathe.


-- If I can do can you! -AJswoodshop

View NormG's profile


4088 posts in 1629 days

#5 posted 871 days ago

It is a Luthiers Cam Clamp. You can make these out of scraps. Very easy and useful, especially if you do not need a lot of pressure

-- Norman

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics :: gardening showcase