Hope Chest for Daughter #2

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by Mainiac Matt updated 06-10-2016 01:12 AM 7 parts 8218 reads 62 comments total

Part 1: Design approved and construction details planned out....

02-07-2014 02:52 PM by Mainiac Matt | 11 comments »

Daughter #2 has “approved” the design of her hope chest. Here’s my rendered solid model…. I started from the same NYWS that I used for her sisters, but with the following skill builder changes: 1. outside edges will be joined with Lock Miter instead of tongue tenon and groove.2. rails and styles will be profiled and joined with a cope cut instead of mortise and tenon .3. panels will be raised and back cut instead of flat.4. feet will be cut with a taper, ins...

Read this entry »

Part 2: Drafted shop drawings

02-12-2014 01:35 AM by Mainiac Matt | 3 comments »

I cleaned up my solid model and created a 5 page set of shop drawings….

Read this entry »

Part 3: Hauled in wood from the barn to acclimate

03-30-2014 10:09 PM by Mainiac Matt | 9 comments »

This pile of lumber was given to my good friend after painting a house. They apparently are the cutoffs from a deck build some years earlier and sat piled under the deck. He in turn gifted them to me. 38 boards of 4/4×3-1/2×50” S4S My wood expert friends at work say it’s Honduran Mahogany. I’ve had it up in the barn loft for ~5 years since and today my A1 helper and I lugged it into the basement to get acclimated. We’re hoping to get started on t...

Read this entry »

Part 4: Stock prep day

04-19-2014 04:44 PM by Mainiac Matt | 11 comments »

Sorted boards to get the straightest ones, then hit them with a wire brush to get the dirt off of them. Jointer-jointer-planer-table saw Flat face – square and flat edge – parallel and flat opposite face – parallel square and flat opposite edge When ripping I was only taking a skim cut to minimize loss of width. This can be really messy with most of the sawdust blowing back on me, so I set up the shop vac with a funnel to catch most of it…. I stickered...

Read this entry »

Part 5: Top is glued up

04-22-2014 02:03 AM by Mainiac Matt | 13 comments »

I am very happy with the quality of cut I am getting with the Fussion blade, and have no reservations about gluing up the panels right off of the TS. Smoother and straighter than my jointer produces (granted, it’s a really old jointer). My daughter came down and cut the biscuit joints and assisted with the glue up. I’m so glad she did, as we needed to move fast. We were much better organized and prepared than my first build, yet were still challenged to get it clamped up qui...

Read this entry »

Part 6: Cleaned up the top and sanded.... almost blew it.

04-25-2014 06:34 PM by Mainiac Matt | 11 comments »

So this is the one tool in my shop that has time and time again brought me to the brink of catastrophe…. Within the first 60 seconds of sanding with 100 grit, I had put several depressions in the top. And of course, I started on the better of the two sides. :^( I had no problems using the belt sander on my first daughters hope chest in Red Oak, but lesson learned today…. Mahogany is not nearly as hard of a hard wood and Oak. Here’s what we used for the saveR...

Read this entry »

Part 7: Aftèr a long delay, we have bread boards

06-10-2016 01:12 AM by Mainiac Matt | 4 comments »

It’s been a 2 year delay, so I guess I better get going on this project again… The bread boards were previously planed at the same time as the top boards. I cut the dados with a slot cutting router bit on the router table. Then I cut the top to length on the TS with a panel sled. I cut the tennons on the ends with a hand router and a rabbiting bit with a guide bearing. I cut the slots short on the front side of the bread boards to hide the joint… One of...

Read this entry »

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics