Daughter #2 has “approved” the design of her hope chest. Here’s my rendered solid model….
I started from the same NYWS that I used for her sisters, but with the following skill builder changes:
1. outside edges will be joined with Lock Miter instead of tongue tenon and groove.
2. rails and styles will be profiled and joined with a cope cut instead of mortise and tenon .
3. panels will be raised and back cut instead of flat.
4. feet will be cut with a taper, instead of curve.
5. name will be CNC routed on top rail as b4
6. wood will be Mahogany (a stack of 44” cut offs left over from a 15 year old deck project and given to a buddy who later painted the house and in turn gave them to me). They are weathered gray from sitting under the deck all those years. but most are straight and all are sound.
The finnish is TBD, but I’d like to try spraying it. The wood has a nice “milk chocolate” color and I’d like to use a finish that highlights the grain and does not darken it.
-- Pine is fine, but Oak's no joke!