I had planned on making this mostly out of Melamine, as I can buy it at work very cheaply. But when I organized the barn for winter a couple weeks ago, I decided that I should use up some partial sheets of 5/8” CDX & a small piece of 3/4” MDO.
Though I’m always impressed to see the awesome furniture grade shop builds many people post, my goal with this project is function, economy & a quick build.
I resized my plan for 5/8” walls and cut the panel stock last night…. Then set up to drill a bunch of pocket holes today.
Got to use my Christmas presents … Dewalt cordless drill and impact driver….
I ripped some scrap 1x and added cleats to reinforce the corners, and tacked them into place with yellow glue…
I decided to get fussy and hand plane the cleats perfectly flush…
And here it is….
Chose some casters from my stash, and planed a piece of 2×6 scrap to the exact thickness needed to mount them level….
Went back down after supper to make it all pretty…. MDO got a coat of Shellac, the plywood voids got a quick spackle, a few spots of black mold got scrubbed and sealed with Shellac, then all the sides got two coats of white water based Killz….
-- Pine is fine, but Oak's no joke!