Now that schools winding down, my daughter has time to play… And now that I’ve got my TS refurb, and other shop projects done, I’m itchin’ to make things again….
We inspected the top panel we had glued up and were happy to see it was still flat. It did shrink ~1/16” in width and developed one small split, but otherwise looked good. So we sanded it again with 220 on the ROS (using the new down-draft out-feed table):
My daughter selected cherry tinted Danish oil for the finish, but I was concerned that it would not soak in the areas where I sealed up the knots with CA glue. So we decided the only way we’d know for sure would be to take the plunge and finish the underside and see what happened…
Ya got to love how easy oil finishes go on. We blunted the edges with a sanding block, wiped down the surface with a tack cloth and then flooded it with Danish, spreading it evenly with a cloth. 30 min later, we added some more and then 30 min. later we wiped it down with a clean white cotton cloth.
The finish appears to have penetrated the areas that were touched with the CA glue, and we’re both quite happy with it.
I can’t wait to see what the “good” side looks like!
-- Pine is fine, but Oak's no joke!