Jet cabinet saw re-hab #22: New facing for Biesemeyer fence

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Mainiac Matt posted 04-07-2013 11:42 PM 2294 reads 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 21: Extension table done Part 22 of Jet cabinet saw re-hab series Part 23: Fence is mostly done... »

I picked up a set of transfer punches on sale at a discount tool place last year. And though I don’t use them very often, they sure come in handy for jobs like this.

Here I’m transfering the hole positions from the old fence facing to the new stock.

The threaded holes in the steel fence body are all in a line, so I set up a fence on my DP table. First job is to counter sink with a 1/2” forstener bit with the depth stop set for a 3/16” deep hole, using the fence to keep the distance from the edge constant, and the transfer punch divots to get the spacing correct. Then through drilling, referencing the divot from the forstener bit finished up the job.

The holes came out spot on, so mounting the facing with the original hardware was a breeze.

And here it is all finished up….

Of course, this entire technique replicated the positioning of the old facing, which was perfect…. right?

Wrong!! Neither side is parallell to the metal fence body, and they are not extending beyond the bottom by the same amount… :^(

Unless anyone has a better idea, plan ‘B’ is going to be to use a guide bearing bit and router to correct this lopsided situation….. but not today.

-- Pine is fine, but Oak's no joke!

5 comments so far

View Woodwrecker's profile


4113 posts in 3449 days

#1 posted 04-08-2013 12:18 AM

Looks good, and plan “B” sounds like a reasonable fix.
Good job.
(and you wouldn’t believe the workout my transfer punches have been getting lately with all the duplicate holes I’ve been drilling on projects. Never measure when you don’t have to.)

-- Eric, central Florida / Utor praemia operibus duris

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

7564 posts in 2202 days

#2 posted 04-08-2013 07:27 PM

getting ready for plan ‘B’

On the bottom of the fence, the facing extends beyond the tube steel body, so I set up an old flush trim bit that’s been re-sharpened. So the dia. is reduced to .48” To this I mounted an oversized guide bearing with a dia. = .62”

So this should give me a bottom edge to my facing that is .07” proud of and perfectly parallel to the tube steel body.

-- Pine is fine, but Oak's no joke!

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

7564 posts in 2202 days

#3 posted 04-08-2013 08:10 PM

I think this is what I’m going to shoot for…

so I’ll flush trim on the top…. Plane a nice straight grained board down to 3/4 and mount with self tapping screws… They I’ll mount the T-tracks and use my Rockler T-slot bit to put a track in the top.

-- Pine is fine, but Oak's no joke!

View DIYaholic's profile


19486 posts in 2549 days

#4 posted 04-09-2013 02:27 AM

Looks like maybe “PLan B” may just be the ticket!

-- Randy-- I may not be good...but I am slow! If good things come to those who wait.... Why is procrastination a bad thing?

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

7564 posts in 2202 days

#5 posted 04-09-2013 01:37 PM

I routed the top and bottoms of the facing stock with the offset guide bearing bit on the bottom and the flush cut one on the top. That part worked out well, but the facing sticks out beyond the metal tube at both ends. So I tried to clamp a narrow board into the the steel tube and shim it flush with the outside surface of the metal tube, for use as a extension for the guide bearing, but the results were so-so.

Also, my router base (I don’t have a palm trim router) wouldn’t clear the metal ‘T’ part of the fence.

So I had to remove the faces again and do some “iffy” cuts on the table saw and clean up a little with the belt sander.

The results will be totally functional, though not as “perfect” as I would have liked.

I need to press on however, as the shop is in a state of total chaos and I can barely move around in it.

I need to mount the extension table, and get the fence operable as is, so I can get my old TS out of the shop and make room to breath.

Then I can clean up and organize and finish up the fence facing and add the T-tracks.

I’m at a critical point in the project, as the snow is melted and outdoor work is calling for my time. We’re driving down to DC to show the kids the sights during their spring break as well. Oh… and taxes are due as well… Turbo Tax to the rescue!

-- Pine is fine, but Oak's no joke!

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics