Jet cabinet saw re-hab #2: mover over Barbie.... Evapo-rust is movin' in

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Mainiac Matt posted 06-29-2012 02:16 PM 1717 reads 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 1: a new cener piece for the shop..... needs a little TLC Part 2 of Jet cabinet saw re-hab series Part 3: first wing cleaned up »

So there’s two approaches for Evapo-rust…

1. submerge part
2. for large parts, lay paper towels or rags on top and saturate, then cover with plastic to avoid evaporation.

It seems that many of the posts by guys going with option 2 result with odd stains as the products of chelation (carbon bonded to iron??) are deposted in certain areas more than others…..

So I set off on a hunt through the house, basement, attic and barn to find a tub large enough for the 27” x 8” extention tables…. (we only have umpteen hundred of these things half full of junk in various locations)... NO JOY!!!

But then a trip to the kids toy closet….. what’s that I see…. an jumbo sized bin used to store a whole lot of Barbie Dolls…... BINGO!!!!

I dumped ~2/3 a gallon and put the first ext. wing in upside down, resting on some small plastic checkers…..

Here’s the set up…..

putting the top back on to avoid evaporation…..and off two watch a movie….

Three hours later…. WOW!

Spray off with garden hose…. wipe with paper towels…. spray again…. dry and then spray with WD40 to prevent flash rust….

Too late to get pic of finished product up…. so I’ll keep you in suspense untill tonight.

-- Pine is fine, but Oak's no joke!

5 comments so far

View PurpLev's profile


8534 posts in 3554 days

#1 posted 06-29-2012 02:22 PM

thats a lot of liquid!

for larger things I ended up going with electrolysis which is a cheaper alternative – I use evaporust for small parts though.

but – whatever works is what counts. looking forward to seeing this come together

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

7661 posts in 2234 days

#2 posted 06-29-2012 03:51 PM

I’ve never used this stuff b4…. and wanted to try it…. so I was willing to put the $22 into it.

Which btw… I had a bugger of a time finding it…. Tried two different Tractor Supply stores and two differnt Auto-Zones…. no luck….. I finally got it from Fastenal.

By putting the wings face down, on the plastic checkers, I’m only filling about 1.5” in the bottom of the tub (~ 2/3 to 3/4 gal.

Also, this makes it easy for the product of the chemical reaction to drop to the bottom, away from the surface.

One of my checkers moved while I was dropping the wing in the juice, leaving a small section sitting on the bottom…. and sure enough, there are black stains at that spot. Hopefully they’ll come off with another treatment.

I have an old battery charger and really should try electrolysis…. I guess I’m just chicken when it comes to putting hot electrical leads into water :^O

-- Pine is fine, but Oak's no joke!

View PurpLev's profile


8534 posts in 3554 days

#3 posted 06-29-2012 04:06 PM

evaporust is good stuff. a little cleaning with green pad will clean those black spots after treatment is done.

I was only able to find the larger containers online – had it shipped.

As for electrolysis – as long as the (+) and (-) are not coming in direct contact you do not have running currently in the circuit other than once placed into the solution in which case the solution is conducting the electricity – so you do not get any ‘shorts’ or anything like that – rather safe. you should be concerned about the oxygen and hydrogen that is being generated at each pole though (highly flammable/explosive) ;)

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

View davidroberts's profile


1027 posts in 3391 days

#4 posted 06-29-2012 07:34 PM

HF sells evaporust, if you have one nearby. Electrolysis is by far the cheapest way to go, and is relatively safe. I use baking soda and a 5 gallon bucket or a large old cooler I found and patched up. A battery charger is really a step down transformer and at 12 volts and 1 to 2 amps, no problem. Just don’t cross the leads. I use a few razor blades (safety blades) in a holder to first scrape off what I can, then go to electrolysis. Evaporust the bolts and nuts, done.

-- Better woodworking through old hand tools.

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

7661 posts in 2234 days

#5 posted 06-30-2012 01:56 AM

unfortunately, the nearest HF is 3+ hours away.

-- Pine is fine, but Oak's no joke!

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics