LumberJocks

From log to box in less than a month

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by sras updated 05-19-2013 04:54 AM 8 parts 9106 reads 96 comments total

Part 1: The kickoff

04-29-2013 01:51 AM by sras | 12 comments »

A friend at my church made me an offer: ”I’ll give you some wood if you’ll build something with it for the youth auction at the church” He made the offer several weeks ago, but I didn’t get around to picking up the wood until last Sunday! That gives me just under 4 weeks to take the wood, figure out a project, build it and finish it. That should be plenty of time, but my projects typically take months or years ! After pondering my choices, I picked these...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Making Progress

04-30-2013 02:37 PM by sras | 10 comments »

I worked late enough last night I didn’t get to updating the blog until this morning. There were a couple pictures still on the camera for the prior day’s work. I got the template done and located it on the lid. After a few passes with the router, I had a recess. The lid is only 5/16 thick to start with and the recess is 3/16 deep. I trimmed the ironwood to size and rounded the corners. Then I applied glue and clamped them up for the night. The last thing I...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Shaping & Lower interior

05-02-2013 02:30 PM by sras | 12 comments »

The last two nights and this morning’s work are covered here. I probably should have waited, but I wanted to shape the outside and see how it looked. I started by putting some marks to guide how much I sanded off on the high spots for the initial bevels. I then could sand (with a sanding block and 60 grit paper) until the high spots were evenly brought down. After that, I just kept going through the grits – up through 400. I could have stopped sooner since I still...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Progress ... and disappointment (but not disaster ;)

05-03-2013 03:08 PM by sras | 13 comments »

Last night started with working on the top tray. I cut the strips to length, mitered them and cut a rabbet for the floor. This is a really close shot – the rabbet is only 1/8” tall. I then cut the floor to fit and glued up the corners. I did not glue the floor, but used it to hold the frames square. I need to install the floor at the very end of the process. I used tape on each corner to hold the miters tight. With the tray outer frame setting up, I turned my attenti...

Read this entry »


Part 5: Wrapping up construction (almost)

05-06-2013 04:51 AM by sras | 12 comments »

Time to cover Friday evening’s and today’s work. The next step was to notch in the ends of the strips to fit in the upper tray frame. Things went okay for the most part. Except for one piece… The top strip was my first attempt at this piece. I had already done the short ones and knew the long ones were to be cut different. That did not stop me from doing it wrong anyway! On my second attempt, I got the outer notches on the correct side, but mis-located the inboard ...

Read this entry »


Part 6: Becoming (almost) unhinged over hinges

05-09-2013 02:58 PM by sras | 20 comments »

Well, I thought this would only take one evening, but it was more like 3 evenings and a morning! The hinges arrived from Lee Valley on Monday on time. From past experience, I knew the #4 screws are a little small in diameter and were going to be too long for the lids. Last time I used #6, but they were a little big and I had to open up the countersinks to get them to fit. This time I went with #5 screws – 1/2 inch for the lid and 3/4” for the box. Now that the hin...

Read this entry »


Part 7: Wrap up!

05-15-2013 04:10 AM by sras | 9 comments »

The last 5 days included a day and a half for a family commitment and one evening to just rest, but the end is in sight! After 2 coats of sanding sealer, I buffed the surface with 800 grit and started to apply the top coat. I am using a water based polyurethane. This was my first experience with this finish and I am really pleased with the results! I only needed to wait about 2 hours before I could sand and apply the next coat. The block in the middle (between the 2 small lid...

Read this entry »


Part 8: A final note...

05-19-2013 04:54 AM by sras | 8 comments »

The auction was tonight. We all had a great time. The box was part of the live auction – near the end of the evening. After some spirited bidding, the box raised $275 for the youth. Here is a link to the project posting. Thanks to all who followed along!

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase