LumberJocks

Shop Shifting

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by sras updated 01-03-2013 06:18 AM 5 parts 7236 reads 45 comments total

Part 1: Evolving shop needs create projects

01-01-2013 07:53 PM by sras | 11 comments »

I’m going to use this blog to track the changes I make to my shop. It seems like this is going to be a better method rather than updating my shop page . Also, several of my projects are related to my shop and it will provide some context. First up is a change to my wood storage. Here is the “before” set up. You’ll notice that I had to reinforce the supports with some plywood braces to carry weight. The motivation resulted from a conversation at work. A ...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Sometimes small changes make a big difference.

01-01-2013 08:47 PM by sras | 7 comments »

This entry is about tweaking the floor plan. My shop is a nice size, but I kept feeling that the open spaces were out of whack. The issue centered on the table saw. It is a major element in a shop of my size. I ended up compromised for cutting wide stock – the bandsaw was in the way. Also, I lacked space to store my tall fence. My ShopSmith was in the corner with barely any room to work with it. The saw was as close to the sink as I could get it. but I was always feelin...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Move a cabinet - so more can take its place

01-01-2013 11:44 PM by sras | 7 comments »

The next challenge for the shop was my workbench (and the area around it) It seems like it is always piled with stuff. Not only that, the shelf underneath is just a heap. I have to dig to find something and it is a restructuring project to add any thing to it. Also, I have another heap of stuff piled at the end. I need more space (I know – another solution is less stuff, but I’m not ready to go there). The cabinet is sitting in the middle of a really big wall (at ...

Read this entry »


Part 4: New Cabinets for the Recently Vacated Wall

01-02-2013 02:36 AM by sras | 13 comments »

The local BORG had a good deal on sheets of 3/4 inch plywood – that is what set off this latest round of shop upgrades. The first step in building these cabinets was build some boxes. I sized them to make the best use of the plywood and still fit. I had some hemlock that I ripped to trim the edges. Old bicycle inner tubes and spring clamps did the job. Here is a view of how I set up to flush trim the doors and shelves. The wall was REALLY not straight. It took a cou...

Read this entry »


Part 5: Adding a personal touch (the fun part!)

01-03-2013 06:18 AM by sras | 7 comments »

Now that I have the cabinets, there was this large area that needed something. I decided on a shop sign with some unique character. I took a single piece of scrap wood and cut it into 4 strips. I then ripped these into thinner strips. One strip being slightly thicker than the other. Next was a bunch of layout work to make sure I had enough material and could make my sign as big as possible. The letters were laid out to create a rustic look. The look was to be broken strips of...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase