LumberJocks

Out of the scrap pile and into a gift

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by sras updated 921 days ago 9 parts 16132 reads 47 comments total

Part 1: Convert random scraps into end grain boards (cut first - design later)

1677 days ago by sras | 4 comments »

OK. This blog stuff is new to me. I’ve got a couple projects going where I am forcing myself to leave the large stock alone and work with material that ends up getting burned after I have too much of it. I have been using CBdesigner from jayman7. He posted a project on this here. I have searched through blog entries and I think I am using this in a little different way. Another big resource for me has been dewoodwork’s blog on how to make an end grain cutting board. Clearly,...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Arched Candle Holder

1667 days ago by sras | 4 comments »

I changed the title of this series since this next entry uses wood I don’t think I could ever throw away (it used to say “burn bucket” instead of “scrap pile”). I have had these this planks of cherry for a long time. They are about 24”x3.25”x1/8”. This is another case where I do not have a design, but I’ll figure it out as I go… I had cut them for a project that didn’t work out and they have sat ever since. I decided to ...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Arched Candle Holder - It's all about adapting

1666 days ago by sras | 5 comments »

Well, trimming up the sides removed the gaps I showed in the previous post. BUT the trimming exposed other gaps! Definitely needed to do a better job of clamping! Time to adapt. Time to go back to the shrinking scrap pile. As luck would have it, I had two strips of cherry from an even older project. If I remember right, these strips are from the first cherry boards I ever bought (19 years ago). Both strips are long enough and one of them has enough length to cover the ends as well. ...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Arched Candle Holder - gettin' jiggy

1664 days ago by sras | 5 comments »

Now, it’s time to cut the recesses for the candles. I had originally thought of using a Forstner bit, but it does not leave a smooth flat bottom to the recess. Instead, I used the Forstner bit to cut a pattern for use with my router. I plan to use a pattern bit with a bearing. Looks like it is time to build a jig! Since I am only building one of these, I’ll build a temporary jig. The same elements can be used to create a smaller, but permanent jig. I have two hole sizes so...

Read this entry »


Part 5: Arched Candle Holder - On to New Heights

1663 days ago by sras | 3 comments »

It seems like the arched form needs to be lifted off the table by some amount. I’m not sure by how much. My technique in situations like this is choose from a range. Start with too little and keep adding until it seems like too much. Somehwere in between “too little” and “too much” there should be a “just right” or at least a “close enough”!In this case I start adding spacers underneath each end. Here is the range of heights. The wi...

Read this entry »


Part 6: Arched Candle Holder - Wrap up

1651 days ago by sras | 1 comment »

I fell behind on this a bit with the holidays (plus a bit of a headcold). I guess I’ll start out with a follow up detail from the last entry. Lisa (aka dustbunny) complemented me on the compound miters (Thanks Lisa!). I have to confess that they did not turn out that way right after glueing up. After I smoothed the rough edges, a few of the corners were not lined up right. In addition to the mis match, you can also see there is a slight chip in the lacewood at the bottom. Luckily...

Read this entry »


Part 7: The Ultimate Kitchen Gadget (Part 1)

921 days ago by sras | 9 comments »

I had the task of creating a light-hearted gift for my niece for Christmas. She is a chef and I wanted to use a theme of kitchen utensils. We use a $20 limit. At first I was going to try something like a mobile, but that didn’t seem to have the effect I was looking for. Here is what I came up with … Start out with some utensils (some out of the kitchen drawer some from the Dollar Store for a buck apiece). Strip off the plastic handles. The wood ones can be left alone for now...

Read this entry »


Part 8: The Ultimate Kitchen Gadget (Part 2)

921 days ago by sras | 7 comments »

I would suggest reading Part 1 first before opening this one… The next part is some plywood dividers. I had to go buy a half sheet – used about $5 worth … I ended up needing to move the hole so I could round off the corner some more. This is what happens when there are no plans… Set the utensils into the holders. Mount each spring holder onto a plywood divider. Screw all three panels together and even them up on the disc sander. Grab a...

Read this entry »


Part 9: The Ultimate Kitchen Gadget (Part 3)

921 days ago by sras | 9 comments »

Here is the final post for this build. Got a chance to use up a couple partial cans of primer. I originally had screw holes on the front cover. I later realized they were not necessary. Cut a couple grooves and laid filler strips in. I had done some body repair on my truck. I bought the wrong shade of red. This was a perfect chance to use it. I did have to buy a can of silver paint. That got me to the $20 limit. Mount the first panel to the front. Put dow...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase