For the letter pattern, I started with a Medusa font. I had to modify it quite a bit to work with my 1/8” router bit.
I then sliced some veneer from the wenge. The veneer cuts were just over 1/16” and ended up at about 0.040” after sanding. I let the wenge be a little thicker.
I printed out the pattern in reverse and glued it to what would be the back side of the veneer. The process was:
1. Cut the pattern with my scroll saw and cleaned it up with some filing. (The sycamore has some pretty grain!)
2. Trace the cut letter onto the panel. I used an Exacto blade.
3. Darken the outline. First with a pencil. (You can see how the angled yellowheart grain works into this)
4. Then with a black marker. Take care not to let the ink bleed across the scratch line.
5. Fill it in. This helped with my visibility when using the trim router.
6. Rough out an opening. I used my trim router with a 1/8” spiral bit
7. Clean up the rough out. I used some of my smaller carving tools. This took a lot of trial and error.
8. Once the fit is good, add glue and clamp.
9. Sand the wenge flush with the yellowheart.
The process wasn’t without surprises. I saved some of each color sawdust for just such an occasion.
Eventually, I had a full set.
I have to admit, while I was doing this I was watching Paul ( Shipwright ) work his chevalet magic and got a little envious ;)
-- Steve - Impatience is Expensive