I wanted to have a specific color combination:
Yellow field, Black letters and Red trim.
I chose Yellowheart, Wenge and Bloodwood. I had never worked with any of these before. While shopping, I found some sycamore for the inside of the box.
Here is a shot of the bloodwood trim strips.
Here is a view of the sycamore ready to be glued to the mdf core.
You can see the plastic wrap under the pieces. That is folded over the top.
And clamped with a backing board.
Once the sycamore was glued to the mdf, I cleaned up the resaw marks.
One note – mdf was a poor choice. I had issues with the pieces warping a bit over the months where this project sat idle. I had to clamp the parts flat and then add finish to each side to maintain stability. Thin plywood would have been a better choice.
Yellowheart goes on the other side. My layout plans required me to lay out the grain at a 45 degree angle. I sawed the veneers and edge glued them. I then trimmed the veneer panels on my crosscut sled .
To make the most of my material, I used the trimmed corners to get full coverage.
I wanted the yellow heart panel to not slip when clamped up, so I used some spring clamps until the glue started to set.
Then gave it the full clamp-up treatment.
Next up will be working on the inlaid initials.
-- Steve - Impatience is Expensive