The last 5 days included a day and a half for a family commitment and one evening to just rest, but the end is in sight!
After 2 coats of sanding sealer, I buffed the surface with 800 grit and started to apply the top coat. I am using a water based polyurethane.
This was my first experience with this finish and I am really pleased with the results! I only needed to wait about 2 hours before I could sand and apply the next coat.
The block in the middle (between the 2 small lids) is a piece of ironwood I am using as a test piece for the finish. It has a head start of 2 coats.
I used it to test out the idea of a couple different waxes.
The test piece was a good idea. I actually preferred the finish without wax.
I ended up with 3 coats on the dividers and 6 coats on the box and lids. The next step was velvet floors for the bottom of the box and tray. I cut heavy cardboard to size and then – with help from my wife – we cut pieces of black velvet oversize.
I then used spray adhesive to stick the velvet to the cardboard. After we smoothed it out, I sprayed adhesive around the border and folded the edges over.
We did this for four pieces of cardboard (2 box bottoms and 2 tray bottoms).
The black really sets off the colors of the wood!
Then it was time to finally glue the plywood bottoms to the tray. This locks the velvet floors in.
Next up is to put felt on the bottoms of the box and tray. I masked off the finished surfaces.
Then I sprayed the adhesive on and applied the felt. My wife then trimmed the felt right up to the edge of the box.
Then it was time to re-attach the hinges. Of course, they shifted position slightly (plus the finish closed some clearances) and I had to go through another round of fitting to get everything dialed in.
That wraps things up!
All that is left is to take one of them to the auction (and post the project ).
-- Steve - Impatience is Expensive