Time to cover Friday evening’s and today’s work.
The next step was to notch in the ends of the strips to fit in the upper tray frame. Things went okay for the most part. Except for one piece…
The top strip was my first attempt at this piece. I had already done the short ones and knew the long ones were to be cut different. That did not stop me from doing it wrong anyway! On my second attempt, I got the outer notches on the correct side, but mis-located the inboard notches! Sigh … On my THIRD attempt I got it right. Which was a good thing because I was running out of spare strips (always cut a few extra…)
When I cut the notches on the frame, I ended up with a couple that were extra wide. This happened when I pulled the frame back over the saw blade after making the cut. I stopped doing that after I noticed.
I cut a teeny tiny piece of fill wood and sanded it to fit.
I then spread a little glue and tapped it in place.
After I sanded it smooth, it blended in well.
I had another repair to make. I had a little chip-out when I cut the relief for the lid. This is a shot of my fill piece.
Actually, a shot of my FIRST fill piece. When I put this up to my disc sander, it popped right off. Sigh … again … ;) I adjusted another piece to fit. The first one was not that good of a match.
I then sanded it closer to the final shape before gluing it in place.
I then hand filed the piece down before I used a sanding block.
After sanding it flush, it’s a pretty good match.
You know how the camera adds 10 pounds – well it’s the same way with showing patches. If you backup a bit, it completely blends in.
Next up was to create a way to remove the inner lid. I worked through several recessed handle options in my mind, but the ironwood is so nice looking that I did not want to break the surface up. I finally decided on a simple relief in the frame surrounding the lid. I used one of my small drum sander pieces.
I ground the relief flush with the inner support.
The end result gives just enough room to lift the lid up (without any features on the lid itself).
I then smoothed the outer surfaces of the second box (same technique as the first one)
I polished the outside to 800 grit (smooooooth)
Next up was a finger relief to open the lid. Back to the drum sander attachment…
I ground the relief down to the bottom of the rabbet.
I then ground a similar relief on the underside of the lid.
While this was going on, I polished a piece of ironwood and started to test out the finish. I am going to use a de-waxed sanding sealer and a water based polyurethane. I put a different number of coats of sealer on each of the three sides and a different amount of sanding on each end. It looks like any combination will work, but more coats and less sanding look to help a little.
I spent almost half of the afternoon polishing each surface to 800 grit. Everything looks ready for finish – except for the hinges. They are supposed to arrive tomorrow…
It looks like I will make it in time, but I plan on several coats of finish which will take most of this week and some of the next.
That’s all for now!!
-- Steve - Impatience is Expensive