Last night started with working on the top tray. I cut the strips to length, mitered them and cut a rabbet for the floor. This is a really close shot – the rabbet is only 1/8” tall.
I then cut the floor to fit and glued up the corners. I did not glue the floor, but used it to hold the frames square. I need to install the floor at the very end of the process. I used tape on each corner to hold the miters tight.
With the tray outer frame setting up, I turned my attention to cutting a rabbet around the ironwood lids for the lower level. I like to use a router bit as it gives a smoother cut and cleaner finish. But …
here is where the disappointment shows up …
I was setting up a zero clearance fence since my router table has a large hole to clear my biggest bits. I chose to move the bit into the fence by raising the motor with the bit spinning. However, as I adjusted the bit height, the motor came clear of the base (the bit was taller than what I normally use for this process which set the motor low in the base). I shut the motor off and started to lower the motor to clear the base. BUT – I should have waited for the motor to stop. I didn’t and the bit caught the side of the base. I ruined one of my best bits and chewed up my router base.
I have been woodworking long enough that I am used to setbacks. Yeah, I lost a bit and maybe the router, but that is just a project for later. What hurts a little is that I have had that router for ~20 years and have grown attached to it. I had a knot catch on a bit and bent the shaft a few years ago. Rather than get a new router, I had it rebuilt. It was a little cheaper, but the real motivation was that I didn’t want to part with my router.
Oh well – I needed to change my plans and use the table saw for the rabbets.
Sorry about the poor focus on that one.
After making a few passes to get the fit right, the lids now sit flush to top of the frame.
This morning, I pulled the tape off the corners. Everything looks fine (except my router base – that’s still ugly).
I then cut strips to length for the tray dividers. The plan is for 12 compartments.
However, I ended up setting the slot position for two short strips, not three. Another small setback – no big deal, the top trays have 9 compartments now! I meant to do that ;)
I have just a little more fabrication to do – then hardware and finish. Saturday is taken up with other plans, so we’ll have to see how much time I have on Sunday. Stay tuned!!
-- Steve - Impatience is Expensive