The last two nights and this morning’s work are covered here.
I probably should have waited, but I wanted to shape the outside and see how it looked. I started by putting some marks to guide how much I sanded off on the high spots for the initial bevels.
I then could sand (with a sanding block and 60 grit paper) until the high spots were evenly brought down.
After that, I just kept going through the grits – up through 400. I could have stopped sooner since I still have some more work to do, but it just kept getting better.
Next, I turned my attention to all the strips I cut for dividers. I trimmed pieces just under an inch wide and to length.
I shifted the pieces around until I was ready to cut slots. The strips are wider than my saw kerf, so I need to make two passes. I used a spacer strip to offset the first cut. One of my scrap pieces was tapered, so I kept adjusting the position until I had the right slot width.
After cutting several slots, I had a set of lower dividers.
I’m pretty pleased with the fit.
I then used some thinner strips to put a border on the inside of the center cavity. I set up an fence extension on my miter saw and mitered the ends.
Then more glue and a few clamps.
I then re-sawed the piece of ironwood I cut (see previous post) and trimmed it to rest on the pieces I just installed.
I have just over two weeks to go. I still need to put a few details on the box, recess and put a handle on the inner lid and make an upper tray. Plus leave enough time for a few coats of finish – it’s going to be close!!
-- Steve - Impatience is Expensive