A friend at my church made me an offer:
”I’ll give you some wood if you’ll build something with it for the youth auction at the church”
He made the offer several weeks ago, but I didn’t get around to picking up the wood until last Sunday! That gives me just under 4 weeks to take the wood, figure out a project, build it and finish it. That should be plenty of time, but my projects typically take months or years !
After pondering my choices, I picked these two pieces to work with:
This is a piece of pear:
And this is a piece of ironwood. I’m not sure of the specific species, but it is heavy and black.
The whole decision process was an iteration between the choosing design and the wood. In addition to selecting the wood, I am choosing to make a box. I spent most of this last week working out the design. Here is a preview of where I am headed:
The box sides will be from pear and the insert in the lid will be the ironwood. The lid will be from my supply of cherry – the piece I am using is one that I have had for nearly 20 years.
Over the last few days, I have been able to get started on the build. I am choosing to build two – one to keep and one for the auction. A good deal of the work is in the set-ups so I might as well make an extra piece while I am at it. (also, if I screw up big time, I’ll have a back-up piece!!)
The first step is to get the box sides.
I let them set for a couple days to check for any shape change (there wasn’t any). Then set the final dimensions, miter and cut a relief for the lid.
I cut some thin plywood for the bottom and set it into the bottom and glued them up. You can see my notes for locating and sizing the splines.
You can get a view of the color in the pear wood here. It should look great with finish on it!
I used my spline jig to cut the slots.
I sliced some cherry from the lid board for the splines.
And glued them into place.
After about a half hour, I trimmed them on the band saw and sanded them flush.
I cut tapers on the top and bottom of each side as a start to the curve of the sides. Then I re-sawed my cherry and fitted two lids.
The lid on the right suffered from planer damage, but I am planning on shaping the lid enough to remove it.
The lids are too thin for hinge screws so I added some blocking to shift the hinges down a bit.
Now, I can start on the ironwood inserts. First, I trued up the sides of the piece a bit and then cut a couple slabs.
I then smoothed one side and cut them to rough size.
Then, I turned my attention to cutting the recess for the insert. My router bits are long enough that I need two layers.
While the glue dried, I laid out the location for the inserts.
That catches you up with today. I got a little more done, but I don’t have the pictures loaded up yet.
I started wondering about the ironwood and gluing and finishing it. I’ll have to do some research. I have two weekends and 14 weeknights left (but two of the weekend days are already booked).
It’s going to be close!!
-- Steve - Impatience is Expensive