LumberJocks

Out of the scrap pile and into a gift #6: Arched Candle Holder - Wrap up

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by sras posted 01-02-2010 07:20 AM 1026 reads 2 times favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 5: Arched Candle Holder - On to New Heights Part 6 of Out of the scrap pile and into a gift series Part 7: The Ultimate Kitchen Gadget (Part 1) »

I fell behind on this a bit with the holidays (plus a bit of a headcold). I guess I’ll start out with a follow up detail from the last entry. Lisa (aka dustbunny) complemented me on the compound miters (Thanks Lisa!). I have to confess that they did not turn out that way right after glueing up. After I smoothed the rough edges, a few of the corners were not lined up right.

Mis Match!

In addition to the mis match, you can also see there is a slight chip in the lacewood at the bottom. Luckily, the fix for both of these is the same. What I did was take the piece to the disc sander and adjust the surface until the corner is lined up. This means that the sides are not perfectly square, but since the piece does not reference to anything else it is hard to notice – and I like the lined up corners better!

The story is about done at this point. After sanding, the next step is to glue up the three pieces. After glueing up, all that is left is the finish. Here is a shot prior to finish.

Assembled

For finish, I used a couple products from General Finishes. I put on 3 coats of GF tung oil sealer. I kept adding coats until I had a bulid up of finish on all surfaces. I then buffed with 00 and 0000 steel wool. Then I added 2 coats of oil/urethane top coat (satin). Here is the final piece.

Finished

The glass pieces are from IKEA as are the candles. I’ll finish this entry with one last view. The long face of lacewood in this next picture is where I glued two strips together to get a piece wide enough (see the previous entry). Can you find the joint? I have a hard time.

See the glue line?

I think the figure in the lacewood helps hide the glue line…

The project posting is here.

This holder ended up not being a gift – it is staying at home. I made a smaller flat one using a similar technique to place the candle recesses. That one was given to my niece for Christmas.

-- Steve - Impatience is Expensive



1 comment so far

View hootr's profile

hootr

183 posts in 2100 days


#1 posted 01-02-2010 09:15 AM

Great job sras
i had the same gap problem (part 3 i think) with my cypress awnings but i confess i didn’t try to fix it cause they were for my house. i’m calling them a “prototype”. (lol)
they’re in my project gallery, i don’t know how to link that yet.
you have given me an inspiration for my redwood burl scrap.
thanks for the blog, very well done.

-- Ron, Missouri

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase