Well, trimming up the sides removed the gaps I showed in the previous post. BUT the trimming exposed other gaps! Definitely needed to do a better job of clamping! Time to adapt.
Time to go back to the shrinking scrap pile. As luck would have it, I had two strips of cherry from an even older project. If I remember right, these strips are from the first cherry boards I ever bought (19 years ago). Both strips are long enough and one of them has enough length to cover the ends as well.
The only issue is that the strips are not wide enough to cover the arch. Time to adapt again.
I can remedy that by cutting the (future) waste from the bottom of the arch and transferring it to the top. A pass thorugh the bandsaw, dry fit and then glue & clamp.
After the glue is dry, I clean up the faces. First I use a chisel to remove most of the squeeze out. Then I make a few passes through a thickness sanding jig I made. It is a simple setup. Just clamp the jig to the fence of my Shopsmith and use the disc sander. I move the disc a little closer on each pass until both sides are clean. This same idea can be used with a conventional sander by clamping a fence to the table and using shims to narrow the gap on each pass.
Now the pieces are mitered to length. I glued up one piece of side trim and then glued the next 3 pieces on.
Now I need to trim the waste. My plan is to use a flush trim bit on my router table. I know from past experience that this works best if there is only a small amount of waste to remove. So I first remove most of the waste with the bandsaw. I leave around 1/8” to clean up with the router. Any time I use the router, I try to think through the process. It only takes a small slip up to create a lot of damage. I can see there are areas where I need to be careful as the grain is not going in a favorable direction. I need to make several light passes – even though I only need to trim off 1/8”. Well, APARRENTLY I wasn’t careful enough. There was one nasty spot where the router grabbed the wood and split it. This happened at the same spot on each side! The first time a chunk of wood was torn out. I managed to find the piece. Time to adapt again…
After the glue dried, I hand filed the edges flush. After a little sanding to smooth everything out, I think I have an arched form that will work.
I’ll finish this post off with a closeup on my repair job. This is a classic example of where I can see the glue line from 5 feet away and no one else will ever see it.
Next I need to cut the pockets for the candles and add some type of foot to raise it up…
-- Steve - Impatience is Expensive