LumberJocks

Powermatic 141 bandsaw refurbish #3: Some electrical work

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by splintergroup posted 06-13-2016 05:12 PM 641 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 2: The painting Part 3 of Powermatic 141 bandsaw refurbish series Part 4: Reassembly »

Well, the refurbish is complete!
Lots of photos and rambling so I’ll split the details up into a few more parts.

Complete the motor wiring:

The band saw base is sitting up on my dedicated workbench (the table saw) where everything is easy to reach. Funny how as one gets older they become adverse to lying on the floor in odd positions to work on things!

To recap, the original motor was replaced with a swamp cooler motor with a different frame size and mount. The wiring was getting crusty and the original power on/off switch was replaced with a standard home light switch.

As an added bonus, there wasn’t a ground in sight.

First things first, make up a new switch to motor cable. I used 14/3 wire (14 gauge, 3-conductors). The switch end has ring terminals which I soldered and covered with heat shrink tubing. I’ve seen too many crimp-only connectors fail which is what typically happens unless you have one of those heavy duty, $100+ crimpers.

A 12 foot long cable was used between the switch and power plug, same gauge and same terminals used for the switch. The entry into the cabinet was protected with a strain relief and all ground conductors were bonded to the motor frame and metal saw cabinet.

It’s nice to know the wiring is up to snuff!

The switch was replaced with a unit from Grizzly.com. Switch model D4157
is an excellent replacement. Under $14 and free shipping with a coupon I had set aside.

The mounting holes needed to be rethreaded for a larger screw (simple enough) and the switch installs without a hitch.

I also bought one of these switches for an old 1.5 HP Powermatic belt/disk sander I have. It turns out the actual switch body is an exact match for the original. I decided to use the original sander switch faceplate instead of the larger (and better in my opinion) START/STOP plate that comes with the switch. I’ll probably change my mind at a later time!

The motor i installed and all the electrical stuff works as it should (the motor even turns the correct direction).

Next up is to get this cabinet base onto the floor and proceed with reassembly!.



0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com