Powermatic 141 bandsaw refurbish #2: The painting

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by splintergroup posted 06-06-2016 06:20 PM 904 reads 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 1: Diving in Part 2 of Powermatic 141 bandsaw refurbish series Part 3: Some electrical work »

Well, a good weekend for making progress on the bandsaw refurbish has come and gone. It figures that my parts order has not arrived yet (I did get the blade guide bearings however).

Anyway, plenty that can be done!.


Saturday morning was perfect to set up outside for spraying, Temps were down, air was still.
Nice thing about living in the sticks, I can paint outdoors without complaints. This should complete a repaint of all visible parts with the exception of a couple of small bits and bolt heads. I’ll figure out what to do with those later.

The color is John Deere tractor green, the closest off-the-shelf match I could find locally. The original color was a bit more grey and not nearly as glossy (I hate gloss), but hey, it’s just a refurbish on the cheap!

Paint was $10 for a quart, just enough to get several coats on. I thinned about 10% with naphtha.

I used an automotive touch-up gun. I love this thing, it gets into awkward places, it’s nicely tunable, and is conservative with overspray.

I bought it about 30 years ago from Pratco, which was the equivalent of Harbor Freight today. Back then all the ‘junk’ tools were from Taiwan. Pratco sold these brand name knock-offs for real cheap. They are very well made, nice machining and come with a spare parts kit (seals, etc.) that are identical to the name brand spares.


I knew some work would be involved here! Sometime ago the original motor (anywhere from a 3/8 HP to a 3/4 HP) was replaced. The replacement used was a 3/4 HP swamp cooler motor. These are cheap motors in that they use a centrifugal switch instead of a start capacitor to get spinning and they use bushings instead of bearings. The motor is not enclosed leaving the centrifugal switched prone to jamming from sawdust. The pulleys are adjustable in diameter by changing the groove width. Good thing because to get the saws specified 3000 feet/min of blade speed, I needed to get to an about 2.1:1 ratio with the upper pulley. This meant I needed to increase it’s diameter about 1/2”.

The open motor is something to keep in mind when I consider dust collection!

Previous owners had modified the motor mount plate presumably to compensate for the physically smaller motor bracket. Apparently they still needed to shim up the motor with a 1” thick piece of plywood.

I received the saw with only one bolt holding this menagerie in place. I have some 1.5” galvanized square tubing which should provide for a better mount. Since the modified motor plate is at its upper limit and I increased the pulley diameter, the extra 1/2” of my mount should be easy to accommodate within the motor plates adjustment range.

The wiring was old and brittle, A grounded 14 AWG cord runs from the switch to the motor, but everything else from the switch to the outlet is ungrounded. Amateur hour!. I guess a new power cord is on the shopping list.

I need to wait until I get the belt installed before confirming if my new mount will work.


I did install four new blade guide bearings. These are the blade side bearings on the upper guide

Door and Table:

I did some finish work by reinstalling the Powermatic placard on the upper door. I had cleaned this up with fine steel wool and gave it a covering of spray poly.

The table got some loving with a cleaned surface and a new blade slot pin fashioned from a spare 1/4” drive socket (the original was long gone). This pin keeps the table top flush across both sides of the blade installation slot. Without it, the back side of the table springs down about 0.050”. Enough to be annoying.


I still needed to paint the back sides of a few parts so these were left for today. Same setup, only now it’s a bit windy and the freaking Cottonwoods are still seeding.

Think of it as trying to paint in a closet with two shedding long haired feral cats tearing apart a down filled pillow.
I picked out most of the junk stuck in the wet paint but it isn’t as smooth as yesterdays work.

An hour of chasing all the threaded holes with taps and I’m done with the saw for this weekend.

Next weekend I should have all the parts ready to go. Finishing assembly should be no problem, maybe one additional day to do the alignment and setup.

Thanks for tuning in!

5 comments so far

View Dee1's profile


187 posts in 1313 days

#1 posted 06-06-2016 09:54 PM

Looking great fantastic job love your choice of color.

View stefang's profile


15512 posts in 2758 days

#2 posted 06-07-2016 10:55 AM

Looks great. I have a lot of green tools and other stuff in my shop and I like it a lot.

-- Mike, an American living in Norway.

View splintergroup's profile (online now)


741 posts in 646 days

#3 posted 06-07-2016 01:50 PM

Thanks people!

I have no other tools this green, everything else is dust colored.

View AandCstyle's profile


2541 posts in 1681 days

#4 posted 06-07-2016 09:35 PM

Splinter, it looks like you are doing a great job. I am green with envy. haha

-- Art

View splintergroup's profile (online now)


741 posts in 646 days

#5 posted 06-07-2016 09:43 PM

Splinter, it looks like you are doing a great job. I am green with envy. haha

- AandCstyle

Groan! 8^)

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics