ARRRGGG! Well I have come to the conclusion with the help of advice from the proprietors of the contest (The Sawdust Chronicles Build Challenge 2010) that my design requires a laminated top. I knew that movement would be a problem but I hoped there was a trick I was unfamiliar with. There is no trick. If I want a “framed” top on my little table I either leave room for movement and accept that or I laminate. And let the sucking begin. Uh… that sounded odd. Anyway. First I need to resaw my stock for laminating. If I’m gonna laminate then I am at least going to make my own from the same stock that the rest of the build is coming from. Wow resawing is not so easy. to get the right size pieces I need to make an 8 inch deep slice. I screwed this up. A LOT. I finally get the pieces I need and run them through my drum sander until they no longer look like ruffles potato chips. My finish pieces are thin. Real thin. I think hey they almost looks like the real thing. Well I found out that I can not glue pieces that thin because I don’t have a vacuum press. I tried to glue it but it was a total waste. The top had waves like the ocean. Its an unrepairable disaster bound for the burn pile. I attempted to clamp a piece of MDF to act as a big caul and there was just not enough pressure.
I have milled more material for laminating. All the extra lumber I had is quickly getting used up. These are a little thicker. I hope that does the trick. I really have no ideas how to do a better glue up of this without a vacuum press.
Wish me luck
-- Wipe the blood stains from your blade before coming in.--