Well, today was a great day for this project :)
I was able to get the lenses and hoods mounted, and the entire circuit mounted on a temporary base for testing. It all works! One change is that I will make the base “box” as a light controller only for now. I am afraid that I won’t be able to complete it by his birthday (a week away from delivery). So what I plan on doing is making a box for the base that has the light control circuit in it. And then I can make a “replacement” base box with all of the other features in it. The clock, temperature sensor, and night light circuit. That way I have a little time to get it all right. And then I will (hopefully) be able to just take it over there, and swap out the boxes to add the new features. I’ve put all of the lights on easily removable connectors to hopefully make all of this possible. So the crunch is on to complete the base, and have a completed and working light by next Sunday. Wish me luck! :)
Here is a video of it working, one change I made at the last minute was to sand the inside of the lenses to diffuse the lights inside. I had test build and planned on using wax paper on the inside. But what I wasn’t liking about it was that you could see a “ring” in the center where the lights would hit the paper. This seems to solve that issue, and I’m really happy with the results.
I also completed the schematic for the power controller. This is the push button and relay part of the light controller that latches a relay when the button is pressed. And then pin 11 of the 4017 opens the circuit, and shuts off the light until the button is pressed again.
-- Dale, Oregon