LumberJocks

Hutch & Buffet #7: Fitting the bottom and the glue up

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Mark posted 09-20-2015 04:25 PM 934 reads 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 6: Hutch frame Part 7 of Hutch & Buffet series Part 8: Buffet doors »

After gluing up 4-3” boards for the base of the hutch I was able to run them though the planer .

Cut to length.

Using a straight edge jig just a wee bit wider than the stock, I cut the tenons on both ends.

I cut 2 pcs for the bread boards and routed the mortices.


The thought was to use box joints to join the sides to the bottom. So after a bit of figuring I cut the fingers in the
bread board first, then the base of the side assembly.

Drilling holes for the pegs

Making the pegs.

A dab of glue in the centre of the tenon and a bit on the end of each peg and I’m good to go.…So I thought
Right about this time the light came on and I realized I hadn’t elongated the holes in the tenons to provide for movement.
I posted the problem on the site. My thanks to Pintodeluxe and A&C Style for their words of wisdom.
I drilled out the 2 outer pegs from the under side, slotted the holes and installed new pegs.

Second dry fit with the bottom in place.

The first part of the glue up.

Frame glue up complete.

About this time I placed the hutch on top of the buffet to see how things were working out. I didn’t care for how narrow the corner uprights looked, so I added a strip of Walnut and a piece of
5/8×2” Cherry to match the lower legs.
Here I’m adding cross bars to a) support the glass shelves and b) give the front uprights a bit more rigidity.

Adding wooden pegs to secure the bottom to the frame. as well as figure 8 washers to allow for the dreaded wood movement.

Ready for finishing.

That’s about it for now. Thanks for lookin’.

-- Mark



3 comments so far

View AandCstyle's profile

AandCstyle

2572 posts in 1722 days


#1 posted 09-21-2015 09:46 PM

“About this time I placed the hutch on top of the buffet to see how things were working out. I didn’t care for how narrow the corner uprights looked, so I added a strip of Walnut and a piece of
5/8×2” Cherry to match the lower legs.”

Mark, I think this was a great addition to the original plan and it is very much in keeping with the rest of your dining room motif.

-- Art

View Mark's profile

Mark

820 posts in 1440 days


#2 posted 09-22-2015 03:22 PM

Thanks Art. I was always taught to go with your first guess. I didn’t. I did add this to the original drawing, but I thought it looked kinda heavy so I reduced the thickness of the uprights. As I said after the fact I should have left well enough alone.

-- Mark

View Roger's profile

Roger

19878 posts in 2269 days


#3 posted 09-24-2015 03:15 AM

Coming along really super

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Keep your dust collector fed. Kentuk55@yahoo.com

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com