This was the easy part. Cut some boards,do some glue up and I’m done. Right?! All things said and done , it worked out not to bad. I didn’t have any OH NO!! moments this time. :)
As there were 5 pieces (4 Cherry @ 4.52” and 1 Walnut @2.5”), I did the glue up in 2 sections.
I was going to add Walnut bread board ends to mirror the dining table I built.
After sanding and scraping the top, I cut it to length.
I routed the tenons.
Using the router table I cut the mortices.
I drilled 3/8 holes through the end pieces using a dummy tenon to prevent splitting and tear out.
Clamp the ends to the tenons and mark the spot with the brad point bit.
I offset the mark by 1/32 and drilled the holler each peg. A dab of glue on the centre of each tenon,fit the end piece and dive the peg home.
After the glue has setI trimmed the pegs down then chiseled flush.
After sanding I hit it with 2 coats of the DIY Teak Oil.
The shelves were just a basic cut to size and glue up operation. As there were only 2 shelves (a long and a short one) it went pretty quick.
Trim to size.
Not to much to say about that…Pretty basic. That finishes the buffet portion. I’ll start the hutch in the next entry.