To make the drawers I wanted 2 contrasting woods. The Cherry will darken considerably so I thought Maple would be the answer for the sides. I picked up a piece of 1×6. Planed it to 1/2” and cut it to length.
The plan was to use hand cut, half bind dovetails for the construction. I’ve never done this before ( or any other kind of dovetail) so I did practice on 10/15 pcs of scrap before hand. Now like a complete dumb ass, I never took any pics of the pin cutting process, but it did happen.
I used one long piece of 4/4 Cherry for the drawer fronts. After planing to 3/4”I ripped to the desired depth and carefully cut to length. The result is a continuous grain pattern on the drawer fronts.
After cutting all the pins with my shop built dove tail saw and a selection of chisels, I layed out the tails.
Cut on the waist side of the lines.
And start choppin’
About this time I upgraded the old wood vise for a used Record I found at the swap meet. After a tear down and clean up. A blast of paint and a set of jaws, I’m off to the races.
The 3 drawer fronts with a dado in the bottom to receive the drawer bottom.
I applied the WOP to the fronts first and after a dry fit I proceeded with the glue up.
The finished product.
The drawers were never intended to be a “piston fit”. I’m kinda leery about wood movement. These are basic boxes, riding on waxed drawer slides. At the time of design I was tempted to cut a dado down each side of the drawers and have the drawers rest on hard wood runners, but I wanted the narrow look of the 1/2” stock and I wasn’t sure if the drawer would be strong enough then or would a 1/4” deep dado be enough. But there they are.
I kinda pleased with the way they turned out.
Thanks for lookin’