Buffet Leg Assembly
To complete the dining room suit I needed to build a hutch and buffet. I found a picture in the Stickley catalogue the Mrs. and I both like. After going to 2 different outlets I could not find a copy in any of the stores. I have had to draw the plans as best I can with out the benefit of an actual piece. However there are many different resources on the web to supply me with construction formats and techniques.
As before I have drawn every thing up in AutoCAD then redrawn it in SketchUp to make sure every thing fits. There is sufficient stock left over from the table build to fabricate the legs and several other components, but I should stock up a bit before I start. (The Sketchup jpg is kinda dorky. It’s a bit more balanced looking on Auto-cad)
Using some of the leftover stock from the table build, I ripped and glued up the 4 legs for the buffet. As only the front 2 legs will really be seen, they will get the Walnut accents , not the back.
Cut to length. I’m really liking the Makita.
As per the Sketchup drawing I am adding a bit of a curved accent on the side of each front leg. I cut the slots on the legs and the accents then cut the splines to fit. These will be the last pieces I attach before finishing.
Most of my 4/4 material I planed to 7/8”. With the end pieces cut to size I cut the tenons .
I used a thin strip of Maple to make a bow to lay out the curved portions of the side stretchers. These were cut out on the band saw.
A quick clean up and we’re done. After sanding I ripped a 3/8×3/8” dado in each stretcher to receive the side panels.
I ripped a 3/8” dado in each leg to receive the panel, then drilled and chopped the mortises for the stretcher tenons.
I had previously sliced and planed some of my 4/4 stock to give me some 3/8 flat stock for the side panels.
I fashioned a piece of 3/4 stock to accept the panels and it looks like this.
One leg assembly. This is a dry fit as there a several more mortises to cut on each leg.
Till next time