Dining Table Build #7: Table Top (part 3) and Finish

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Mark posted 11-19-2014 01:35 AM 2635 reads 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 6: Table top Part 2 Part 7 of Dining Table Build series no next part

Time to lay out the extensions. I figured how wide I wanted the 2 extensions to be, clamped the first one And with a piece of scrap cut to the correct length I was able to ensure both extensions were parallel.

Time to lay out for the alignment dowels. A quick pass with the router to provide a clean straight edge.

I found my locations for the dowels a tapped in a nail in each spot. One side of one leaf and only one main top half

I then cut most of the nail off, sharpened the remaining 1/8” to a point and slid the 2 sections together. Pull them apart and nails to the new marks on the second main top ( this will make a mark for the 2nd leaf) add the
leaves and gently pull it all together with long clamps. Sounds complicated but I ended up with locations for all the dowels that were pretty much spot on. I made a quick jig to drill the holes and I’m done.

On to the aprons. I took a page from the Pintodeluxe book and added rare earth magnets to the under side of each apron on the leaves. I should have used 2…mistake #331. they still hold but not as well.

I used figure 8 washers (from Lee Valley) to secure the remaining aprons. The table clamps are from L/V as well.

On to the final prep.
Sharpen up the scraper and have at’er.

I scrapped and I scrapped and I scrapped, but it just didn’t seem flat. So after a bit of searching I found a guy in Vancouver who has a 600V 3phase 54” belt sander. Holy cow!! I packed the 2 tops and leaves up and away I went. 3 days later out they came…damn fine job. I used my DIY “Teak Oil” to bring the grain out and started brushing on the gloss Varathane, but after 3 coats I figured If I spent all that money to flatten the top…Put on a decent finish. So I bought a spray guy. Due to the size of my garage and compressor I went with a LVLP gun from the Orange store. I lightly scraped the surface of the tops to try and flatten the brush stokes with reasonable success. After a bit of screwing around I was able to lay on several good coats of satin. Wait several days and polish with4/0 steel wool.
This morning I moved it up stairs and assembled it in place. All things said and done I quite pleased with the results. And Momma really likes it . 
The table seats 6 with ease. With the leaves in it will do 10. ‘cept I only made 8 chairs. sigh!

Till next time. Later.

Now. Having said all this. I must thank those who have responded to my blog, for their kind words, tips and encouragement. But especially my deepest thanks to Pintodeluxe for answering ALL my many P/Ms, for giving me pointers and tips and always a “good luck” . Again, my thanks good sir.

-- Mark

3 comments so far

View AandCstyle's profile


2538 posts in 1678 days

#1 posted 11-19-2014 01:59 AM

Mark, that is one mighty fine looking dining set. Also, you did a great job spraying the table. Very impressive!!!

-- Art

View Roger's profile


19714 posts in 2225 days

#2 posted 11-19-2014 02:23 PM

Very nicely done Mark.

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Keep your dust collector fed.

View dvhart's profile


111 posts in 2436 days

#3 posted 01-03-2015 01:50 AM

Beautiful work – and a lot of it!

-- Darren

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics