I set up the table base to support the top while I cut it to size. The straight edge I used I had cut from the side of one of the 6/4 Cherry boards and I was pretty confident it was straight. I trimmed off both sides with a circular saw , set up the other top for trimming then set up to cut the tenons.
I wanted to ensure the leaves and the 2 tops would all be the same length so I set them all up together. I’m not sure if that was the correct approach but that’s what I did.
Cutting out the tenons.
On to the mortises. I routed a 1/4×3/8 wide slot in the Walnut side pieces.
Then cut the deep mortises with my DIY mortising jig.
Shocked the heck outta me when every thing lined up.
I drilled a ¼ and a 3/8 hole in an old saw blade to make some dowels for the top.
After laying out hole locations I used a 3/8 brad point to make the holes. The scrap in side the mortice will prevent tear out.
I figured I try my hand at draw boring. I clamped the side pieces in place and used the same bit to mark the new holes.
I moved the marks up by about 1/32 and drilled the holes.
Elongate the holes for the dreaded wood movement.
Usual dowel clean up.
Next I’m going to mount the 2 halves to the extensions.
Thanks fer lookin’