Well. They’re done. Damn! What a project.
I borrowed a pneumatic staple gun from a good friend. I checked around the Youtube vids for instructions and found a whole bunch of stuff. I went to several different suppliers for materials and bought enough foam and Dacron to do 1 seat pan. I tried a seat using a piece of Naugahyde . All things said and done it turned out ok….but. The leather I had chosen was $625 / hide. The upholsterer I was to get it from said I might get away with 1 hide. And I’m sad to say I wimped out. I sent all the seat pans to the upholstery lady as well as the 2 stools I made earlier to be recovered. I feel shame.
But they’ve just came back….Damn they look good!
I had picked up a box of 1/4/ 20 X 1 ¾ pan head screws to secure the seat to the chair. If I was to do it again I’d probably go with 10/32 screws.
I left 1/8” gap between the plywood seat pan and the side rails. This makes for a very tight fit. While I wanted a snug fit I, an extra 16th per side wouldn’t hurt.
So there they sit. What an excellent project. Very labor intensive, but what a reward. And such a learning curve.
I started the 1st proto type last Nov. It took 57 hrs.
I started the 2nd proto type in March. It took 40 hr.
I started the production style build (the other 6) March 17th and they took 207.5 hr.
I forgot to mention in my blog , when I applied the last 2 coats of Varathane I used a spray can. A spry gun would have been nice but I wasn’t to sure about the set up/over spray/do I thin it, etc. So there it is.
That’s it. All done.
If any one out there is sitting on the fence as to weather they should tackle a project like this…All I can say is go for it. Man does that feel great.
So now I gotta build a table to go with it.
Thanks fer lookin’