As I had stated earlier I had planned to add arms to the 2 larger chairs. I looked around a bit and found a design I liked and drew it out on a piece of 1/8 fibre board to make the patterns. I used 4 pieces of 6/4 stock for the braces and 4/4 for the arms, traced the patterns and cut them out on the band saw.
Off to the bench and my now go to tools…spoke shave and file to finalize and clean up the shape.
On to the table saw to cut the tenons on the arm braces.
Positioning the braces for the arms was a bit of trial and error to find a length from the end of the arm I liked. After I did the layout for the mortise I drilled out the bulk of the material then squared the corners with a mallet and chisel.
Then clean up the hole with the file.
With the tenon a snug and clean fit, I cut a slot in the tenon to receive a Walnut wedge.
The arm assembly was attached to the chairs. I’m embarrassed to admit, I used wood screws for this installation, but it seemed appropriate.
Once the glue was set I cut the end of the tenon with a flexible saw and a chisel. The screw holes I filled with walnut dowels and cut flush.
The finished chair.
Now for the seat pans I used ½” birch plywood. I found the center point on each chair and laid out the dimensions on the plywood blanks
As others before me did, I left 1/8” gap on each side.
Chairs all dressed out. At this point I should say I have sanded all the chairs with 330 g and applied a coat of Teak oil. Once dried I applied 3 goats of water borne Satin Varithane with a light sanding between coats.
I drilled 2- 1” holes in each pan to let the air escape when some one sits in the chair…It’s gotta go some where.
The I clamped the pans to their respective chairs and drilled the holes for the T nuts.
A strip of duct tap over each T nut to keep it in place and I’m done.
All that’s left now is the upholstery.
Thanks fer looking