On to the corner brackets. I realize all the corners were supposed to be 4.5° off 90 but thought it prudent to measure and check the angle before I cut up a whole bunch of stock (measure twice cut once).
Drill some holes.
And it should look like this.
Although it wasn’t on the drawing, I kinda liked the idea of doweling the mortise and tenon joints. After I had asked several of the LJ’s for their opinion I decided to add dowels to pin the M/T’s together. As Walnut was the obvious choice I had to make my own. I did a bit of research on DIY dowel making and used this method. I was going to use 5/16 bowels, so I drilled a 5/16 hole in a piece of scrap. Then I sliced just the top of the hole off. I clamped a fine toothed jigsaw blade between the hole and another piece of scrap and was ready to go.
I cut square strips of Walnut almost 3/8”sq. and tapered the ends to fit in the whole. Stick the other end it a drill and your good to go.
I prefer the look of the square pegs, but as I don’t have a mortiser, I use what I have.
With dowels made I wanted to ensure all the holes were laid out the same so I built a pair simple jigs and a drill stop
A little dab of glue and I tapped the pegs in place. After several hr, I trimmed the with a flexible saw and smoothed them flush with an orbital sander.
I did that 7 more times and I was done. Arms for the Captains chairs will be next.
Thanks fer looking.