I ripped all my stock for the side and cross stretchers as per drawing, but I chose to go with a straight half lap joint as opposed to the dove tail simply because it’s easier.
Because there is a compound angle on the back of the side stretcher and a single bevel on the front, I obviously chose to nibble the single bevel when creeping up on my final length. I started with the overall length of each stretcher and slowly snipped a bit off the front till I arrived at the final length.
Once I had the final length I had to drill a 5/8 hole in each end for the dowels, so I made a simple jig
so the center of the drill bit was center of the stretcher. I was getting a bit of movement on my stock so I changed up my clamps.
Trimming the half lapped mortise on the cross stretcher.
Once the final dry fit was done I glued and clamped the whole assembly. What a satisfying experience. One down 5 to go.
I gotta tell ya I received the Jorgensen clamps for Christmas. Absolutely stellar. A bit expensive, but
worth every dime. Next up will be the corner brackets and the arms for the Captains chairs. Till then… thanks fer lookin’