LumberJocks

Rodel chair build. #3: Back assembly.

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Mark posted 04-04-2014 11:15 PM 963 reads 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 2: Front, sides and back rails. Part 3 of Rodel chair build. series Part 4: Back legs »

The crest and lower back rail were to be from 1 7/8” stock. As I didn’t want to shell out for 8/4 stock I ran 2 pieces of 4/4 through the planer to get a nice smooth surface then glued them up. The jury is still out on whether this was a good idea or not. After trimming the stock to
it’s finished size I laid out the curves and laid out the tenons. As I
said before, laying out the larger chairs was a bit challenging.

I cut the tenons first. Snuggling up to the fence ensures everything
will line up.

And again I used this guy to remove the waste.

At this point I moved over to the back splats. After ripping 24 pcs 5/8 X 1” I cleaned up the saw marks with the scraper.

I set up a dado set just under the 1/2” the tenons are supposed to be as I didn’t want to chew up my fence face.

I ripped my Walnut pcs to 1 1/2” instead of 1 1/4. There is a 2° bevel on the edge and I’d rather start off big and move in. So I set up the Wixey again and cut my strips.

Ya gotta pay attention to orientation again. 2° isn’t much so be sure your work piece is angled correctly when you flip it. About ready to head to the router table.

After a bit of searching I found a drawing for a DIY router insert for my T/S. It works pretty slick.

My Walnut strips are a touch over 5/16 thick, so I had to make 2 passes with the 1/4” bit.
Once the groove was cut I had to square off the ends with a 1/4” chisel.

Finished product.

Now for the crummy job, cutting the mortises for the back splats.
Not having a dedicated mortiser I had to do all 48 by hand. I started by laying the holes out with a template.

Then drilling a 3/8” hole on the drill press. The tenon is 1/2” long, so I went just a bit deeper.

Then the fun part. 3/8 on each end x 1/2” long.

That pretty much took the day. Next up is fit and finish. The band saw left
lumps and bumps that needed to come off. I hit them briefly with the belt sander then I used a half round file and a scraper to finish each one.

Getting close to the end know. I used the paper template that came with the drawings to
lay out the curve on the crest rail.

I was concerned about tear out on the band saw when I cut the curves so I taped the piece I had cut out from the face of the crest rails back in place. This also gave me a flat
surface to work with.

I ripped some Walnut down to 2” wide by 3/16 thick. These will dress out the top of the crest rails.
After cutting the curves I had to smooth out the ruff surfaces again to receive the Walnut strips.

I used the left over pieces from the tops of the crest rails to sandwich the Walnut for the glue up.

Outta the clamps and time to trim the Walnut. A sharp chisel and a spoke shave
serve the best.

The final assembly X 6.

Then the whole assembly is taken apart for final sanding.

I will put a lite clamp on these assemblies and use them for laying out the locations for the mortises in the back legs.
I will not glue these pieces up ‘till the mortises in the legs are complete.

Thanks fer looking. Untill next time.

-- Mark



5 comments so far

View AandCstyle's profile

AandCstyle

1316 posts in 909 days


#1 posted 04-04-2014 11:57 PM

Greg, just a couple options for your consideration:

“The band saw left lumps and bumps that needed to come off.” I use a spoke shave for that and I think it might be faster/easier than using a file and scraper.

Rather than making square M&T for the back splats, I used a doweling jig. I think that would have to be easier and since the back is glued, nothing is going to go anyplace.

I am really impressed with your progress.

-- Art

View Mark's profile

Mark

422 posts in 626 days


#2 posted 04-05-2014 02:19 AM

Hi Art. Thanks for the tips. Yer right. Dowels would have served very nice. I don’t mind a learning curve….but why is it always 90°?

-- Mark

View Mean_Dean's profile

Mean_Dean

1445 posts in 1799 days


#3 posted 04-05-2014 10:09 PM

Looks like they’re coming along great! Looking forward to your next installment!

-- Dean

View a1Jim's profile

a1Jim

112078 posts in 2229 days


#4 posted 04-05-2014 10:36 PM

Very good progress nice work.

-- http://artisticwoodstudio.com Custom furniture

View Mark's profile

Mark

422 posts in 626 days


#5 posted 04-06-2014 11:45 PM

Thanks for the kind words gents. Coming from a professional, that’s high praise indeed a1Jim.

-- Mark

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase