LumberJocks

Contractor Saw Refurbishing #2: Remove the knob then polish the top. (Not the other way around! It's a family site, people!)

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by slaphitter posted 2395 days ago 660 reads 1 time favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 1: Good news: I got it home. Bad news: Now I have to do something with it! Part 2 of Contractor Saw Refurbishing series Part 3: Bolts, Wings, Wheels and Fences »

OK, down to business. First, a couple of measurements so I can find some replacement parts.

First, the handwheels. One is missing entirely. The other is plastic, and beginning to disintegrate. I am going to replace both with proper metal handwheels.

The handwheel is 5” across, and the hub is 1-1/8” across. The bore is 3/8”. The locknut appears to be 5/16” – definitely larger than 1/4, but smaller than 3/8”.


On the back of the hub, you can see that a “T” slot cuts across the bore. There is a pin through the crankshaft that seats into this slot. I am not a Certified Handwheel Expert. Is this a normal configuration? Should it be easy to find metal handwheels with this T slot?

The original insert, and the shopmade zero clearance insert, are 13-3/8” x 3-3/4. This size appears to be readily available specifically for Jet tablesaws, so this is a no-brainer to get one that is machined from low-friction material and equipped with leveling screws, rather than make one in the shop.

I have made the executive decision that this project will return the saw to excellent working condition, not necessarily showroom hot-rod show-tool condition (are there showroom hot-rod tool shows?). Accordingly, unless I find something that is actually damaged, I do not plan to disassemble the guts of the saw. I just want to get the crud removed that is bogging down the works, and get it lubricated. Cosmetics will be secondary.

I found this DuPont teflon “dry” lubricant at Lowes. It goes on wet, so the solvent helps it to penetrate similar to WD-40, But then the lubricant dries, leaving behind the teflon and some kind of wax. Seems like a reasonable thing to try on the mechanicals (not the top – I’m sure this stuff has some silicone in it, which I don’t want on my wood).

Mission accomplished. I certainly didn’t remove all of that caked on resin/sawdust from Episode I, but I got it out of the worm gears , sprockets and tracks that guide the lift and tilt mechnisms. I used a beat-up old chisel that I use only for scraping half-dried glue squeeze-out from projects. Perfect tool both for chipping the gunk off flat surfaces, but also picking it out from between the teeth on each sprocket. Then a generous lubrication of all contact surfaces in there, carefully avoiding the belt channel on the pulley wheels.

Amazing what 30 minutes of work will do. It’s like a new saw already. The lift and tilt just glide back and forth with minimal effort. Beautiful and silky. And you can feel the stops hit metal-to-metal, not metal-to-gunk.

Now for the top. Again. I’m not aiming for a mirror. It will never stay that way. I just want it clean and smooth. First, I gave it a scrubbing with Noxon and paper towels. That removed all of the rust-colored deposits, leaving black marks where they had been. Then I got out my random-orbit sander with 120 grit. Spent about 10 minutes carefully – but lightly – scrubbing the entire surface.

Before:

After:

I need to get more sandpaper disks. Tomorrow I plan to hit it with 80 grit, then back to 120 and finish with 180. That, with a couple coats of paste wax, ought to have the top in the best shape it’s seen in a decade or more.

Finally, I removed the belt. I’m going to replace with a link belt. The motor pulley cover is a cracked mess, and makes an awful racket when the saw is on. I hate to remove it, but it’s hardly protecting anything in its current condition. Will have to see about finding a replacement.

I don’t want to start re-installing the fence and wings until I have the mobile base. That should be here in the next week or so. No sense adding weight until the body is already on the wheels.



4 comments so far

View PanamaJack's profile

PanamaJack

4469 posts in 2583 days


#1 posted 2395 days ago

Good enough to make some sawdust with! Grand job.

Keep it up and show us something down the road that was made off it.

-- Carpe Lignum; Tornare Lignum (Seize the wood, to Turn the wood)

View WayneC's profile

WayneC

11998 posts in 2603 days


#2 posted 2395 days ago

Looks great. Have you tried the abrasive blocks they sell at the big box stores. I’ve had good luck with them.

-- We must guard our enthusiasm as we would our life - James Krenov

View Karson's profile

Karson

34798 posts in 2906 days


#3 posted 2395 days ago

Great change. Nice job.

-- I've been blessed with a father who liked to tinker in wood, and a wife who lets me tinker in wood. Southern Delaware karson_morrison@bigfoot.com †

View WayneC's profile

WayneC

11998 posts in 2603 days


#4 posted 2395 days ago

LOL. BTW, your title is quiet funny….

-- We must guard our enthusiasm as we would our life - James Krenov

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase