I started by marking out all the cut lines with a marking gauge. I have one of those simple wood pass through another wood with a thumb screw and a little pin, ones… so….I chiseled out the sections in the maple down to the lines after cutting the shoulders with the dovetail saw. I then transfered the tenons to the backside of the zebrawood with the marking gauge again. Then chiseled around the marks and worked on taking out the material with the chisels. A mortiser would be really nice here but I would probably only use it like once a year and that’s easy enough to do with my chisels and just as accurate if I take my time. I checked them for fit and they were all good except for one slight opening in one side. I poured a little yellow glue on the opening and sprinkled some of the zebrawood dust in there then worked it in and around with my finger. It made for a nice fix. I used a block plane to knock down the corners of the tenons BEFORE gluing to get a chamfer all around the edge. I really liked that part as it was the first major thing I’ve used my new LN adjustable block plane for. Rare for me to post a response like this I guess but I had the time, it’s Memorial day! The rest is glue and clamp up history.
-- LAS, http://www.abettersign.com