So I started with 8/4 zebra wood that I bought off my brother. He builds bass guitars for a living and had some left over wood. I resawed the wood down to about 5/8” on my craftsman 12”(given to me by my father in law) with a Woodslicer 3-4, 1/2” blade from highland woodworking… Amazing blade, if you have a bandsaw and need a resaw blade for it check them out because it cuts like a hot knife through butter compared to ANY other blade I’ve used yet. https://www.highlandwoodworking.com/
Next I took them to the jointer and squared up one face and one edge. Then on to the planer to take them down to the 1/2” I needed. Next step was to glue together the panels for some sweet bookmatching. Hopefully the pictures will show that well enough. Cut them to length and width and layed out some dovetails and hand cut those. I love the way hand cuts look. Marked the spots for the through tenons and cut to size the curly maple which I also got from my Bro. He’s a little pissed cause it is some really nice curl. It’s amazing really. I Sized up a 1/4 ” panel from the zebrawood for the back making sure to leave room for expansion and such. I actually used my new Lie Nielson block plane to knock down a slight bevel all around and it fits great. Glued all that up and then cut the front and back zebras for the sides of what will be the top box section. Block plane worked great for that too cause it didn’t quite fit off the jointer and I sweetened the fit perfectly. This is where I’m at now, so I’ll discuss more of the project later.
-- LAS, http://www.abettersign.com