This project has been a long time coming. Since I got the woodworking bug over a year ago, one of the projects I’ve been thinking about has been a traditional Japanese style toolbox for my growing set of tools. I got the wood for the project from a professional woodworker selling his off-cuts almost a year ago in anticipation of this project. But time, and the growing sense of “don’t mess it up” led to constant excuses for not starting. Since my last woodworking class ended last week, I thought it was time.
Inspired by countless number of Japanese toolboxes I’ve seen in books, online, and on LJ, I’ve been sketching a design on a whiteboard near our front door for the last couple weeks. I finally settled on a design, not without trepidation (specifically on the strength of some of the joinery), and decided this long weekend was my chance.
The day started with a lot of hand milling, and using my new shooting board. This was followed by a long session of layout. A lot of the tough joinery layout is complete, but the remainder will have to wait till tomorrow. Exhausting day, but a good one.
-- http://woodspotting.com/ -- Discover the best woodworking blogs!