Well got that bug again after work. Looks like its gonna be a regular visitor. Well got in the shop (garage) today and decide to not give up just yet on my intarsia project. So as I’m walking in I remember an extremely uncomfortable position in which I had spent the afternoon/evening prior so unpleasantly perched in. You see not to mention was it filled with the ups and downs of a good woodworking adventure I was also doing it all squatted in the floor because I don’t have a work bench. Well that is to say I didn’t have a work bench. In the corner of my garage lay remnants of a rather crude raised planter bed I had built for the wife at our previous house. Well it hits me like a stroke of genius, I will take this pile of unused 4×4’s and 2×12’s and build myself a nice space to work. The intarsia is just going to have to wait. I mean it has to be much more enjoyable when you can stand up or set on a stool comfortably and work. So off I go (not going anywhere just staring and thinking) formulating a plan to create a workbench which will fit in the space in which I have available inside my garage.
So with a plan firmly fluid and half thought out in my head I grab some wood, some tools and get to work. This process actually went pretty uneventful. Got it all put together and then as I’m screwing down the top I have 1 screw in each corner and realize I don’t have enough screws of the right length to really give all the joints the strength they should most definitely have. Well as I look at a while longer I give it a small shake and it seems to me it will work out just fine. At least until I can get some more screws to finish it off. I figure hey its not really a too permanent thing anyways. Just something so I don’t have to squat in the floor. Here is what I ended up with.
Its only a 15”s wide but really all I had room for as you can clearly see. I did cut some holes in the end for some dogs so I can try my had at some hand planing in the future.
Ok, so the bench is done, for now, and I still have plenty of time to get back to my intarsia project. Playing with this went pretty uneventful as well. Just the problems I new I was going to have trying to get puzzle to go together at least close to what I wanted. I haven’t actually decide if I am going to scrap it yet. I got it all laid out and just need to do some sanding to round over the edges to give it that depth and glue it all together. Below is how it sets now and the clip art I am working off of. I tell as I set here and look at the thumbnail on my computer it doesn’t look half bad. To bad it doesn’t look that good full size. HAHAHA. Anyways I added an extra pic at the end of the band saw I mentioned in my last blog.
- Happy woodorking