When I originally built the four new chevalets the school didn’t have an official name so I branded them with my usual cypher, PRM. Following the first round of classes last fall it became The Canadian School of French Marquetry so I decided to rebrand the chevalets.
Here’s where it becomes a story about the virtues of hide glue. I was able to rehydrate the old glue holding the ciphers onto the chevy face plates and remove them without damage by applying hot water and driving it into the veneer with my steam iron. I used no pressure on the iron, just kind of floated it on the film of water. The water boiled under the iron briefly and then I was able to gently lift the old marquetry with a palette knife.
Sanding the new marquetry flush caused a little problem with the stain but I was able to re-stain carefully after first carefully shellacking the new logos.
I would like to point out to those people who are afraid that hide glue will fail if hot coffee is spilled on it that the removal of each of these little pieces required about five minutes of applying boiling hot water and then the iron, probably five or six times each before I could dislodge them.
Anyway, I now have the new school branding on all four of the new chevys and I quite like the look. The fifth of course (my own chevy) will remain unchanged. So here they are before and after.
Now I’m off sailing for a week before getting into the June classes starting on the 6th. I have four students for level one and five for level two. It should be fun.
Thanks for looking in.
-- Paul M ..............If God wanted us to have fiberglass boats he would have given us fibreglass trees. http://thecanadianschooloffrenchmarquetry.com/