OK, time to put some lipstick on the pig. She may not be much but we can still tart her up a little. But before we get into applying some color and finish however there is one thing that I said I would clear up later. It involves cleaning up the jig saw lines where the wagon vice hole was cut on the top. Because it was cut from the bottom we can’t be sure the top will be pretty. I suggested cutting a little inside the line and we’d clean it up later. This is the same jig we used for the skilsaw but made for a straight bit in a trim router. Your full size router can be used if you don’t have a trim router but this one is excellent and only costs around $25. There’s a blog on the jig here.
Here’s the first of the lipstick. Just a little Minwax Jacobean stain to break up all that bland plywood. It is followed by several coats of exterior water based Varathane. I like it as a shop fixture finish as it resists most goo and can be sanded and re-coated as needed.
So much for the war paint, on to the “jewellery”. This is some of the beautiful Osage Orange that Gene Howe gave me a few years ago. It will become the leg vice chop.
This stuff is hard as nails so I’m drilling lots of holes before I go at it with the jig saw. The ShopSmith makes a great drill press with a nice big table / fence.
In the next couple of photos the bench starts helping me build her parts. Here I’m cutting out the holes in the chop and cleaning up with a chisel.
I made my log (variation from the plans) from three pieces of 1” Osage Orange. Here I have first cut a wedge and I am using it to mark the same angle on the center piece.
Now, with the wedge in place and the second layer clamped up. I’m drilling and screwing the layers. The wedge is in the down position and is perfectly fitted in the slot. Notice that the center-lines of the holes are marked so I won’t put any screws in their way.
After gluing up the log the holes are drilled. I carefully marked and cut the 3/4” holes from both sides with a forstner bit.
A little more jewellery. You can (and probably should) use steel pins here but since I had the lathe set up to make the wheel anyway, I made a 1/2”pin for the bottom and a 3/4’one for the top.
I got a little carried away and missed taking a few photos here. The wheel is also Osage Orange and is just a disc so that’s not too hard. You could even use a caster in a pinch. I also missed photos of the wagon vice parts being cut. It’s not hard but will require a table saw and a band saw. To get the angles to match at the back of the wagon vice I used the off-cuts from the block with a little padding to make the glued in side parts.
Pictured are the wagon, a couple of shims, the wedge and the block.
Note: you may notice that the hole in the top has been changed. The second step shown in the last blog segment was a mistake. The front part should be about 2 1/4” wide and the rest is all 3” with the angle pieces added at the back. .... Sorry.
Here’s the wagon vice in use clamping the trial log I built with left over plywood. Ultimately, I didn’t trust the plywood glue joints to hold up so I changed it out.
And here she is, all done !
I would love to see more of these. It is a very strong useful bench.
As for the challenge, I will do an accounting to see how well I did on the costs but the materials are still just two sheets of plywood and a board. I’ll post the final tally soon.
Thanks for looking in and please ask questions if there’s some clarification I can make.
-- Paul M ..............If God wanted us to have fiberglass boats he would have given us fibreglass trees. http://thecanadianschooloffrenchmarquetry.com/