My spring shop project is supposed to be a set of marquetry panels of Friendship under sail for the upper doors of my desk. However I’ve had a couple of repair / renos on the real thing interrupt me, this hatch cover being one of them. Well I’m here today to tell you that it’s done and I’m getting back to the marquetry.
Here’s the final bit of work on the hatch.
First photo is the old broken hatch with the hundred mile an hour tape holding it together. I’ve removed it from the boat for a trip to the shop and covered the gaping hole with my boom awning against any rain that may come along.
Second photo is back in the shop with the new top glued on (epoxy).
Next up, the edges get new strips to cover the edge grain of the new lid.
All set to install. A couple of coats of epoxy and a couple of exterior Varathane for UV resistance.
Of course you can’t just throw away the acrylic. This little screen will keep the wind out of my face when I’m motoring in bad weather from my spot inside. I can sit on the engine cover with my back against the doors and steer with ropes. The only part of me outside then is the top half of my head. If often thought of a wind screen like this. Now I have one.
Here it is finally installed and ready to go. Now the only thing stopping me from getting back to the marquetry of the boat is the replacement of the bad marquetry I did on the boat (cabin doors.) Good news is that I’ve finished that too. Bad news is that since I started it in another blog, I’ll have to finish it there too.
Thanks for looking in.
-- Paul M ..............If God wanted us to have fiberglass boats he would have given us fibreglass trees. http://thecanadianschooloffrenchmarquetry.com/