This is not a pretty tale I tell today. I am calling it a “senior moment” but in fact I, being a little precocious, have been doing this sort of thing off and on since I was much younger. The term “Brain Fart” works better but I couldn’t use that as a title.
In the photo below I have taken the two veneer layups and DS taped them in a couple of spots to some 1/4” MDF pieces exactly the same size. The MDF will allow me to clamp these veneer parts into the recesses in the doors. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to see that there’s a difference between the way the pieces are taped on. They should both be paper re-enforced side down (on the MDF), but somehow one seems to be paper side up.
This means that when all glued up the albatross will be in the left door as he should be, right side up as he should be, .... but wait, won’t he be flying to the left? Wasn’t he supposed to be flying to the right?
How many of you knew that If you heat (less than fully cured) epoxy, it will soften a little and allow you a chance for redemption? Hair dryer putty knife and a lot of care … but miracle of miracles, it came off with minor damage.
Now the semi hard epoxy has been removed from the door but remains on the veneer, deemed to fragile for the hard scraping the plywood took. This is the point where I should have chucked it and made a new one…... but of course that wouldn’t make as good a story, would it?
Here I am starting to scrape the now correctly mounted marquetry. Notice the high spots? I guess the residue of bits of epoxy on the veneer prevented even pressure in the press. So the fun begins.
The first thing that happened was that the holly decided to splinter under the scraper as it got thinner. No problem, just cut a couple of new pieces.
And then there were the legs and that bit of background. OK we can do this. ..... (fool!)
That went well. (Except that the whole tail needed to be replaced as I had sanded through it in a couple of places.) Just a final clean up and … wait is the the background sanded through now?
Fortunately I found another piece of pau ferro that was close in color and grain, did a rubbing and
got the pieces in.
This is what I ended up with. I’m not happy with them but I’m very happy I got them on by launching time. I will make new panels and replace the whole center of both doors …. AT MY LEISURE. These will do as long as no one looks too closely.
Here they are in situ. The thing that comes to mind when I look at this is that the maple is too light in color. The new panels will have skies of cedar or a cedar like tone. That makes junking these a little easier to take.
But all that will have to wait. Friendship’s all rigged, the wind blows and all of a sudden a little shabby marquetry seems a very small problem indeed. Prepare to cast off !
Thanks for looking in.
-- Paul M ..............If God wanted us to have fiberglass boats he would have given us fibreglass trees. http://thecanadianschooloffrenchmarquetry.com/