Disclaimer: I realize that I am digressing from the project today but not, I think you will agree, from the stated tilte of the series.
I got a little distracted today. First thing this morning I got word that I could launch my boat (requires equipment) on Wednesday which means no marquetry for a couple of days …. or not.
I started looking at the parts that need a little attention (read “a coat of Cetol slapped on) and decided that the cockpit locker lids and the cabin doors really had to come off and get refinished in the shop. I got the locker lids cleaned up and a first coat on them and then started scraping the doors. I just love my new Gramercy hold-fasts.
As I was cleaning the doors up I couldn’t stop thinking of the idea I had had a few weeks ago of doing an albatross on them. I’ve never liked the mahogany plywood panels in the doors. OK, how long can a simple albatross take? I’ve done the pattern before. Re-size, re-draw a bit, print and cut. How hard can that be?
This is a Boulle style packet for the albatross and the pau ferro and curly maple I’ve chosen for the ground.
With the albatross cut out and assembled, I taped another pattern to the ground and cut it.
Here’s a close up of the bird after fitting it in the piece by piece cut ground.
And here’s where I am at the end of the day. Tomorrow morning I will mount the marquetry with epoxy and when it’s cured I’ll re-cut the portlight with a router. I may even add a ring.
In this photo of course the whole thing is backwards as we are looking at the filled back (glue side) of the marquetry.
I’m hoping to keep the other project moving as I finish the annual maintenance but at this point the real boat comes first.
Thanks fore looking in.
-- Paul M ..............If God wanted us to have fiberglass boats he would have given us fibreglass trees. http://thecanadianschooloffrenchmarquetry.com/