The last segment ended with the background pattern glued to the packet for the lower part of the picture. This is just about the same photo except that I have added some support in the middle of the packet to keep it tight. Very fine veneer nails are hard to come by so I’ve used staples from a desk stapler. They are not the ideal solution and often crumple somewhat but for a thin packet like this one they actually work very well.
The cutting has begun and it’s looking OK so far.
This one’s for Mike who remarked last time that he found it ironic that I was working on the marquetry and the actual boat at the same time. The photo shows the completed cut, still sitting in place, on top of one of Friendship’s cabin sole boards that’s in the shop for a coat of Cetol.
Here’s the lower background all cut out.
Time to check that the top and bottom still fit before getting into cutting the top.
In this closeup of the top of the pattern you can see pairs of pencil lines cutting across some of the rigging lines. These are “bridges” that will stay in the piece to hold the separate pieces until final assembly of the infill marquetry.
This is how they look after cutting. The bridges can be removed after the background is glued to the assembly board on butcher’s paper.
The background is joined into one piece. When working in thin sliced veneers of this size, particularly burls, it is always a relief when the pieces don’t change shape and size on you as you go. These will be fine.
The piece is 11 inches wide and about 28 high. That’s Friendship’s entire cabin sole under it here.
And finally here is the complete background glued down to butcher’s paper on the assembly board. Nothing left to do now but start assembling and see if all the pieces fit …. ........... :-)
Enough for now, next time assembly.
Thanks for dropping in.
Comment, ask questions and critique if you wish, and keep smiling.
-- Paul M ..............If God wanted us to have fiberglass boats he would have given us fiberglass trees. http://prmdesigns.com/