There is not a lot of sand shading on this project, but it is an essential element that will really “pop” the motif into three dimensions. One of the features of this logo is the folded ribbon around the central medallion. In order to make the rings look folded over in three dimensions the shading must be applied accurately and with a relatively sharp edge. This can be accomplished with a “heat blocker” like the pair of hemostats I’m using in this photo. The metal draws the heat away from the sand immediately adjacent to it and prevents it from scorching the wood. The scorch actually stops a sixteenth of an inch or so away from the metal, even when the sand is piled right up to it. Resting the spoon carefully at the other side of the desired scorch prevents the sand from spreading too far up the piece. It’s a bit tedious when you have a lot of pieces to do but the effect is worth the trouble.
After shading the logos are assembled and ready to go on to whatever eventual project they may adorn. The two here that have square backgrounds are the dyed practice motifs and the others are three of the four from the second batch. The brown tape you see here and there is from taping the veneer layers into the packet and it will be removed eventually in the process.
The first of these motifs to be used is to make a round serving tray. It will be cut into a curly maple background and surrounded by a garland of grape vines. It will also have the word “RISERVA” added under the logo. “Classico” denotes that the wine is from only grapes grown in the Chianti region. “Riserva” denotes that it has been produced under rigid controls to make the best product.
This is a packet that contains two book-matched pieces of maple, folded over at the match joint so that both halves can be cut together in mirror image.
This is a classic style cut, background only, so the idea is to cut only the inside half of the line. This whole cut came out in three pieces. I made a couple of small changes while cutting to avoid making some too small pieces. The notes on the side of the pattern are to remind me to do the same when I cut the infill pieces.
When all is cut and the packet is opened up, this is how the background looks.
Next I re-assembled the packet but with the background opened up this time and attached a pattern with the outline of the logo and the word “Riserva” included. After removing the logo outline I slipped a smaller piece of black dyed veneer into the packet where the “Riserva” was and cut the letters in Boulle style.
Placement of this pattern was facilitated by the alignment marks in the photos above. The other packets in this picture are the purpleheart packet for the grapes and the poplar packet for the leaves.
Here the leaves are being added after sand shading.
And this is what the final assembly of the tray marquetry looks like.
Next time I’ll cover making the tray and finishing up but I may just wait until I post the project to keep the secret a little.
Thanks for looking in.
As always comments, question,s and critiques are welcome.
-- Paul M ..............If God wanted us to have fiberglass boats he would have given us fibreglass trees. http://thecanadianschooloffrenchmarquetry.com/