I always knew that the scrolled edges of the aprons were going to need some kind of trim to define them but I kept putting off designing them because I wanted to see the pieces first and then decide what would suit. Each solution I had thought about had its drawbacks but the one I really wanted seemed to have the most…... so I decided to try and figure out a way to do it.
To put the cart before the horse, this is what I envisioned, a delicate 1/8” x 1/4” half round molding the same shape as the scroll cut and mounted on the surface to give a three dimensional “finish” to the edge. The material would be arbutus like the rings on the balls.
Envisioning it was the easy part. Now I had to make it. Here’s what I came up with and you will have to excuse me for feeling more than a little proud of myself here….. sorry.
1) If you scroll cut the piece out of 1/8” stock, it will explode when you try to rout it.
2) If you scroll cut it at a greater thickness and then do the routing, how do you cut the 1/8” off ? ...................and it may still explode.
First scroll cut a pattern from 1/2” baltic birch ply. The multi-ply pattern should resist breakage that could be expected with short grain areas of a solid piece.
Next rip some 1/8” arbutus stock
and fasten it to the pattern with double sided tape. A few judicious whacks with a hammer will greatly increase the tape’s holding power.
Scroll cut the piece away from the stock within 1/8” of the pattern, closer is better.
This is my favorite part. I will digress here a moment to reference the next tool to be used.
About a year ago (OK exactly 423 days ago….. thank you Lumberjocks ), I posted a little overhead pin router idea that I had for the drill press. At that time I was still fooling around with router type marquetry and wanted to see if a pin router could make that easier….. it didn’t work on the very small pieces I was hoping to get so I put it aside and it has never come back out …... until now.
With a 1/8” brass pin in the drill chuck and a 1/8” spiral bit in the trim router the setup cleaned the piece exactly down to the pattern perfectly.
With the pattern still attached I was able to rout the 1/8 corner round easily with no chatter or explosions.
Of course there were areas where the bearing on the router wouldn’t fit but then that’s why God gave us carving tools and sandpaper right?
After a little tuning and sanding while still on the pattern / handle I removed the molding with a knife.
and tried the fit. There is a little fine tuning with sandpaper left to do but I’m very happy with the results. The color will darken to match the rings when the finish is applied.
Spurred on by yesterday’s success (above) I went out this morning and got the end moldings out in one piece.
I may have actually glued some of them up this afternoon but alas, there were whitecaps in the bay….. so I went sailing. Thanks for looking in.
Questions, comments, etc… welcome.
-- Paul M ..............If God wanted us to have fiberglass boats he would have given us fibreglass trees. http://thecanadianschooloffrenchmarquetry.com/