Ok, next step is to get some leg blanks out and prepare them to accept the ringed balls. This was just a matter of dimensioning some big leaf maple of which I have a nice stock and routing half holes on center in all the halves before gluing them up. Here are the pieces all ready to glue up.
And here they are all glued up and fitted with the balls to check for fit and alignment.
In this photo I’m using my Veritas radius-master to create a high precision curve pattern for the leg detail. This is a very versatile tool. I also use it to heat sand in for shading. You could probably even bake a cake in it.
The curves were cut on the bandsaw and tuned up on the top of my stationary belt sander.
I made up a spherical sander from the prototype ball to see how a fitted leg / ball joint would look.
The sander worked fine but I didn’t like the look of the joint. It just didn’t look as clean as the one in the sketch. (So there’s your answer Rance.)
Next I moved on to the leg marquetry. There were to be fourteen separate pieces of marquetry on each leg. (Something like 480 pieces, but who’s counting?) As the initial marquetry in the medallion had been a mixture of music and floral themes, I decided to carry both on to the rest of the table.
These pieces will go above the ball.
The dark on light ones are by-products and may be used elsewhere, maybe, sometime???
And these ones will go below the ball.
This is the glue-up jig for the leg tops.
And the veneered tops. At this point the balls are not glued in.
A lot of hours later and after a lot of scraper work and lot of sanding I was finally able to glue up the legs. The trick here is to be sure they glue up straight. As far as I can tell this glue-up jig did a pretty good job. I’ll know when final assembly happens.
Sorry there are no photos with the bottoms of the legs finished but you are as of these next few photos, right up to date with me, at least on the legs. These are a few pics of the glued up, fully veneered legs with a first coat of thinned shellac sprayed on. I think they just may look really nice with that table top.
The treble clefs are on the front and back of the table and the bass clefs are on the ends.
I apologize for the length of this segment but if you think this was long you should have been in the shop for the last two weeks. ;-)
You are now up to speed on the legs but I’m still ahead on the table so the next installment will deal with the marquetry for the aprons.
Thanks for dropping in. I hope you enjoyed the ride.
As always comments questions and critiques are welcome and encouraged.
-- Paul M ..............If God wanted us to have fiberglass boats he would have given us fibreglass trees. http://thecanadianschooloffrenchmarquetry.com/